Part xxvi - Good fortune

Minnette's POV

Training with Max has helped me master my ability to hold back when it comes to my strength. I have broken a few things, especially in the kitchen. It was frustrating in the beginning but one month down the line and I'm good. He thinks I'm ready to go back to work and I agree. So here we are on the way to the restaurant. He's driving but I can't stop looking at him. "Stop that. It's creepy", he said playfully making me laugh. He did the same.

"Thanks for the ride mate", I said the winked making him laugh. "You're welcome, I'm heading to Sebastian's, he needs a hand with the heavy lifting", he said then drove away. 

"Oh, Minnette, thank goodness you're here. We have a client reservation for a birthday party. Very high profile. I need you to help me with the entrées", Dad said looking all panicked. "Ok, ok old man relax. What are you serving?", I asked while heading to the locker room to change into my uniform. "Rib eye steak with roasted potatoes and fresh salad. The dressing has to be citrusy and creamy", he said and I nodded.

We went on making the preps and by the time the guests started arriving we were ready. "Which one is the birthday boy?", I asked Dad and he pointed at a man that looked his age, he was sitting alongside what appeared to be his grandkids. His eyes met mine and they turned red for a brief second making me hold my breath. He smiled at me and then went back to listening to the little girl who was giving him a present.

"I like your contacts Seus Chef", i heard someone tell me and turned only to see the same man from earlier. "Thank you, it's a gift from my husband", my answer made him look at my wedding ring and smile. "Are you mated to a Vampire?", he asked in a whisper knowing that I could hear him clearly. "No Sir, he's a hybrid", I said when I was sure no one was looking. "Very rare. Congratulations by the way. Conceiving after completing a bond is considered good fortune", he said making me stare at him in shock as he walked away.

I went back to the kitchen and helped clean the dishes while they finished serving dessert. Could it be true? Was I pregnant?

"Amazing job Minnette, you were right, it all turned out ok", Dad said pulling me in a hug. "Told ya!", I said playfully as he started helping me with the remaining dishes.

The beauty about my Dad is, when you work at his restaurant you must know how to operate everything that's in it. It helped when one got sick or didn't come to work. We were able to adapt.

I miss working in the corporate world though. Having to challenge myself when it comes to negotiations and managing people but I must admit, working for my Dad makes me feel like there's no limit when it comes to making new recipes. When I see people eat and praise the food that I make it does things to me. It's food for my soul something that the corporate world didn't have.

"Hello people! Any new recipes you want me to try?", Max shouted from the entrance making me laugh. Dad shook his head as he pulled him in a hug. "Sadly no my boy, I have some steak and fries here if you want some", he said making Max scream, "hell yes!", he sat at the counter making other cooks look at him with smiles.

I wondered if he even met a person that didn't like him. I guess it was the perks of being him. Dad gave him the food while I went to change out of my uniform. When I returned, I found him telling Dad how he had a blast towing a car that was stuck in the mud. "I swear I can't do a quarter of what Sebastian does for a living. I even make Nayeli change a flat tire. It's just not meant for me", he said making them both laugh.

"I'm ready", i said making them turn to look at me. Dad furrowed his brows making me look at myself. Nothing seemed out of place. "What?", I asked making him shrug his shoulders. "You look different", he said. "I know, I don't have my uniform on. See you tomorrow Dad", i said kissing his cheek as we walked out of the restaurant.

"How was your first day back to work?", Max asked when we were on the way home. "It was interesting. I think we served a Vampire and his family. Then he said something to me and it kinda caught me off guard", I stopped not knowing how to tell Max that a random stranger thinks am pregnant. "What did he say?", he asked looking a bit worried. "Well, it's not a bad thing, it's just weird. He asked if I was mated to a Vampire, when I said no he congratulated me and said I was pregnant and that it was considered good fortune to conceive after completing the mate bond", I said turning to look at Max. He didn't seem phased.

"You think I'm pregnant too don't you?" I, i asked and he parked the car then turned to me and concentrated on my belly. His face lit up and he pulled me in a passionate kiss leaving me puzzled. "We're fucking pregnant babe!", he said with a huge smile and I was speechless until a tear fell from my eye. "Are you sure?", I asked and he kissed my tear away.

"Yes, babe. I don't know how I missed it. I thought your scent was changing because of the mark, I didn't think it was because it was someone else's scent. This is the best day of my life. Pulling a car from the mud race, eating free steak, and now having a baby! What more could I ask for", he said with joy making me roll my eyes at him. "What?", he asked oblivious to the fact that he just ruined the moment. "You had to ruin the moment with the mud and free food huh?", I asked with a raised brow. "I'm sorry?", he said making me shake my head. "Just take us home please", I said with a smile making him start driving again. He sang to every song that came on in my playlist that I was sure it was his too at this point.

"Is that the Royal convoy?", he asked making me look closer. Yes, I could see far away too. "I guess so", I said as we reached the front door. 

"Your Majesties. Welcome", Max said. It was the first time we had seen them since the Nimerah's kidnapping. "Thank you. I'm sorry we came without informing you prior. We just wanted to talk to you both. Apologise for what happened. Can we come in?", the Alpha King asked while looking at me. "Sure", I said then led them in the house.