Part xlix - Trying harder

Maximus' POV

My phone started ringing making me pull it out in a rush, hoping it was Minnette. It was Liam. I looked around and saw that everyone was calm and collected. The ceremony hasn't started so I could spare a few minutes. 'I'm stepping out a bit to answer a phone call', I mind-linked Riggs. 'Got it boss', he said.

"Hey, man. What did she say?", I asked nervously. "She wants to give up. Can you get some time off of work? I think you guys need some time alone. Without the kids", he suggested. "I can't, not right now at least", I said knowing how tight my schedule was for the next two months. There was no way I could get time off. Nimerah had scheduled training and so did Ashton and Gabriel. They were still under my protection until their first shift where the Royal Beta would take over as their mentor.

"I'm serious Max. Make it happen as soon as possible or she's gonna give up. You should have seen her man, she's hanging by a thread. Even Domitian could tell something was wrong with her. He asked her but she played cool after I spoke to her, I knew better. She's hurting. Just make it happen", Liam said with a hint of anger then hung up. I tried calling him again but he didn't answer. 

Fuck!

I called Sebastian and he answered in one ring. "Hey man, I heard you're having a surprise party. How whipped are you?", I started with a joke. "Whipped enough to put a ring on it", he said but not in a matching energy. "Congratulations man, you'll make a great husband", I said honestly. "Look, Max. I won't pretend that we're cool while we both know Minnette is my weak spot. Put your shit together and be there for her or you and I are gonna have problems. I mean it", he said then hung up. 

Shit!

'It's starting captain', I was mindlinked. I put my phone in my pocket and then walked into the hall. The new Alpha was summoned to the stage to start a blood oath when the front door was blown to pieces. 'Shields', I mindlinked my team and Nimerah was surrounded by four of my squad members.

"Oops. I didn't mean to make an aggressive entrance but there's no way in hell I'm gonna let him take what's rightfully mine", a woman said with her eyes trained on the new Alpha. "Amelia, I'm your fated mate but you rejected me because I was weak. You can't possibly want to fight me for this", the new Alpha said. 'Stand down. We're not allowed to interfere with the challenge', the Royal Beta told us via mind link and we all nodded.

"Amelia, are you challenging him for the Alpha position?", the Alpha King asked making her stand with her head held high. "Yes Your Majesty", she said with confidence. "Very well then, let's not ruin the decor. Let's go outside and get this over with", the Alpha King said then stepped back. We moved outside where there was an opening then and secured the spot for the Luna Queen to sit and observe. "Max, are you ok?", she asked and I nodded. She furrowed her brows as if not believing me then moved her attention back to the battle.

The fight lasted for three hours with Donald taking the title. The party had to be rescheduled to the next afternoon. I made sure everything was in order then went to the room that was prepared for me and Riggs.

I took the phone and entered the family WhatsApp group. There were a lot of messages about the dinner party and photos too. Liam was right. Minnette looked exhausted. She had bags under her eyes and I wondered if she had time to rest at all. Even though we had maids Monna was still glued to her. She had to become a full-time housewife after Matt was born, he had complications when he was born because of his vampire nature, and the worst part was I wasn't there for her, Colton and Jasmine were. They told me he kept running out of blood and they almost lost him on the operation table when Mum told them to use Minnette's blood instead of his blood type in the transfusion. Her healing properties did wonders for our little guy and he reached full recovery.

"I think you should take some time off. She looks bad man and we both know she won't be ok until you strengthen your bond", Riggs said looking at Minnette's picture. "I know", said then stood up. 'Sir, may I have a word?', i mindlinked the Royal Beta. 'Of course, we're at the dining room, come join us', he said and I wondered who he was with.

I found him and the Alpha King sitting on the table with whiskey in their hands. "Max, why are you still awake?", the Alpha King asked looking shocked. "I couldn't sleep. I need to take some time off", I said right off the bat. "What the hell does that mean? We need you now more than ever, if we disturb Nimerah's training then we might as well start over", the Royal Beta said with furrowed brows. "I know but with all due respect, I'm good at what I do because of my wife and I can't risk my marriage for my job. I'm sorry", I said looking at my feet. I could feel the Royal Beta's aura and it was forcing me to submit but I knew in my heart that I had to fight harder. Minnette was worth it.

"How long do you need?", the Alpha King asked calmly making me look up at him with shock. "Angus! You can't be serious!", the Royal Beta shouted terrifying me but the Alpha King didn't seem to be disturbed by his outburst. "Maximus?", he asked again and this time around, I answered fast. "One month Your Majesty. I want to take her to the family cabin in Crystal Fort Pack and try to strengthen our bond before it's too late", I said and he hummed.

"Too late? She's your mate! Max, warriors don't have such luxury. Our job is to protect at all cost, you swore an oath and she knows it too so why now?", the Royal Beta asked with anger. "Sir, I know I swore an oath but she needs me and I believe that I've never given you a reason to doubt my royalty but I can't neglect my family. She's been holding our family together for three years now while I focused on my job. Her being human is exactly why I need to remind her that even though my obligation to the pack will always be number one, she's the source of my strength and I need to show her that", I tried explaining.

"When did you start falling apart?", the Alpha King asked with the same calm tone. "When she got pregnant with Matt. We had introduced around-the-clock duties", I explained and he nodded. "Permission granted. Do what you have to do", he said and I could have sworn the Royal Beta's jaw hit the floor.