Part xlvii - My job vs family duties

Three Years Later

Maximus' POV

I can hear the baby cry from a distance but I'm too tired to get out of bed considering the long trip I just returned from. Protecting the Luna Queen has become even more complicated considering she has two kids now. Ashton is a great kid but Gabriel is like a bouncing ball, I have to make sure they have bodyguards following their every move otherwise they just vanish or should I say Gabe will.

I felt my hand being moved to the side and the bed getting cold for a while then back to being warm. The smell of fruity and floral mixture disappeared from the bed making me furrow my brows. I pulled the pillow to my face and got it again allowing me to fall asleep once more.

"Daddy! Daddy wake up", Monna kept shaking my arm making me open my eyes slowly meeting her light blue ones. Her curly blonde hair was all over the place while her light brown skin reminded me of her mother. I still can't believe we have such beautiful kids, yes we're on baby number two. "Good morning princess", i said making her laugh at me. "Daddy, it's after morning silly", she said with a smile that was so contagious making me smile too. "You pretend to be so smart huh?", I asked then yanked her to me while tickling her. She laughed until there was no voice coming out of her. "Max, she's struggling to breathe", Minnette said from the door with Matt on her hip.

"Dada!", he said when he saw me and extended his tiny hands to me making his Mum bring him to the bed. She handed Matt to me and then went to collect the clothes I discarded on the floor last night. "Brunch?", she asked and I nodded making her walk out of the bedroom. She was wearing hot pants that hugged her butt properly, it was a sight for sore eyes and I needed to get myself some Minnette.

"Dada!", Matt called me making me look down at him, his dark green eyes were full of excitement. I guess he missed his Dad after all. "Mammy let me feed him yesterday. But he spit at me", Monna complained making me smile. "Princess, your brother doesn't have teeth yet so you need to teach him how to eat like this", I mimicked a cartoon eating making her burst out laughing, and for some reason me doing that made Matt laugh too. I missed my kids. I can't believe I was away for two months.

'Captain, the Alpha King's calling you', one of the newbies mindlinked me making me release a breath. 'Will be there in an hour', I replied. "Food is ready!", Minnette shouted from the kitchen making us get out of bed. "Daddy, when are we going to eat ice cream? Mammy said I should wait for you", Monna asked as we walked down the stairs. "Right after I get back from work princess", i said making her stop walking. "You're leaving again?", she asked with watery eyes making me swallow hard. "I'm just going for a short time, i will be back before you go to bed and we'll watch a movie together", i said while kneeling in front of her with Matt on my shoulder. I wiped her tears with my free hand. "You promise?", she asked looking hopeful and I knew I had to make sure I kept my promise this time around. "I promise princess, let's go have lunch", I said then offered my hand, she took it quickly.

"You're leaving?", Minnette asked with shock on her face when she found me getting dressed in my warrior uniform. "Yes, the Alpha King has summoned me", I answered while giving Matt to her, she placed him on a baby chair that had his toys on then released a breath with her hands on her waist. She was mad but looked sexy as hell. I love Minnette but she has become more possessive and even though our fights always work in my favour, especially in the bedroom, I find myself feeling guilty every time I make her unhappy.

"Minnette, I didn't plan this and I don't even know what I'm being called for, it might be just a one-minute thing", I tried explaining myself but it was clear that she didn't care. "You know what? I'm tired of making excuses to Monna for you", she said with tears in her eyes then stormed into the bathroom. I tried to follow her but she locked herself in. "Minnette, babe, open the door please", i said but I only heard sniffing from inside the bathroom.

'Captain, he's looking for you', the new recruit said again and I couldn't keep my boss waiting i had to go even though it pained me to do so. 'I'm on my way', I replied through the mind link then released a breath. "Minnette, I have to go. We'll talk about this when I get back babe. I promise", I said then walked out of the room. I found my kids in the living room. Monna was playing with her dolls while Matt was eating a toy car. I kissed them both then rushed out the door.

"You good man?", Riggs asked and I nodded even though I wanted to tell him I was still having a rough time at home. He's been helping me get my head straight after my first option got mated to someone in the Fae Pack and had to leave the squad. You guessed right. Selene is not part of the squad anymore.

"Good afternoon everyone. I apologize for calling you on such short notice but Nimerah and I have an emergency trip. The north dragon pack has chosen an Alpha and we need to swear him in. According to the dragon's tradition, it has to happen on the first day of the month which is the day after tomorrow so we will need to leave in the next two hours using the convoy so that we can arrive there on time. Understood?", the Alpha King asked and we all replied with a "Yes Your Majesty".

"Fuck!", I cursed the moment we were outside the palace. "You ok man?", Riggs asked and when our eyes met I saw pity in his. "It's like the only thing I'm good at is pissing Minnette off. I just got back and now I have to leave again. As if we don't have enough problems as it is", I said running my fingers through my hair. "Hey, it will be ok. Adele and I had the same issues after being mated, I know having kids involved complicated things but you need to talk to her and explain that it's out of your control. This is our job, she knew that from before right?", he said and I nodded.

I've never hidden anything from my wife but I also know how doing things alone can be overwhelming for her. She's human after all. I just hope that I can get the chance to find a peaceful ground before she gives up on our marriage.