Part xxi - Anything for Max

Minnette's POV

"Why the hell would you go to Max without telling us? We've been worried sick!", Mum said through the phone sounding worried. I decided to call her after seeing I had over twenty missed calls. "I'm sorry I just couldn't take it anymore. I needed to see him. I missed him Mum", I said with watery eyes. She released a breath.

"Oh Minnette, long-distance relationships can be hard. I'm sorry I shouted at you. It wasn't intentional my darling", she said sounding calmer. "He's quite missable if I'm being honest. How is he? Can I talk to him before your Dad hears and takes the phone away?", she asked in a whisper making me laugh. "He's still at work Mum. He's on night duty today", I said feeling like something got stuck in my throat. "What a bummer, next time then. I'm glad you're ok. I'll call your sisters and tell them since we were both in the same wagon" she said making me smile. "I'm sorry Mum, I'll text you next time. I promise", I said hoping she would believe me. "You better. Let me go make dinner for your Dad. I love you", she said then hung up.

I sat by the window and looked outside the pack house. The Alpha King addressed the pack on the meeting grounds telling them to make sure that everyone paid attention to their surroundings. He had left the Royal Beta in charge. There was a knock on the door then it was opened.

Adele entered with her bundle of joy making me smile. "Hey, we couldn't sleep, can we come to stay with you?", she asked looking nervous. "Yes, please. Come to Aunty", i told baby Karen making her smile at me. "You and kids, I swear, I'll never understand", she said sitting next to me. "Mummy's just jealous isn't she my amazing girl?", I asked while tickling her chubby cheeks and making her laugh. Adele rolled her eyes at me making me smile. "It's not my fault I'm better than mummy huh!", I told her and she held my face in her tiny hands then started sucking my nose. "Oh you're definitely better... as food", Adele said making us both laugh. "How have you been? Riggs told me you had a rough couple of hours", she asked with a serious face.

I placed baby Karen on my lap giving her a toy her Mum came with. "Well. I'm ok. It's not something I understand but I have to endure it I guess", I said leaving it at that.

One thing that I noticed was, that everyone cared and respected the Alpha King like some sort of higher being so saying something bad about him was not an option plus, I didn't want to make Adele uncomfortable. "Love can make us do crazy things Minnette and if you add the mate bond to it. Everything goes haywire", she said with a knowing smile.

"I hear you. It's just not easy. Max left his family for me so I kinda feel responsible for everything that goes wrong somehow. It keeps making me feel like we should have rejected each other then he would probably still be close to his family, especially his father. He became a warrior because of him. That kind of love is very hard to come by", I said making her nod in agreement. Baby Karen started fussing making me return her to her Mum for feeding.

"So when are you guys making one of these?", she asked pointing at Karen who was busy enjoying breast milk. "If it was up to me? We would have been on baby number four right now. One each year", I said with excitement making her laugh. "Why doesn't he want to have them then?", she asked looking genuinely confused. "Well, he said that because of our 'situation' it will complicate things with my parents especially if our kids turn out to be vampires and all", i explained feeling too emotional to get into too much detail.

"Well, I think otherwise. He could get a break from work and train them on how to control their thirst early on, babies act according to their surroundings so it should work. I will talk to him about it... before you say no, I won't tell him about our talk", she said like a woman on a mission. I had another idea.

"Do you think the Alpha King would allow my parents to visit me here? If Max and I complete the mate bond?", i asked nervously. "Why wouldn't he? He has a soft spot for you. Even Nimerah too. I think it's the age that makes them that way", she said putting Karen on her shoulder to burp. "What do you mean age? How old are they?", I asked feeling curious. "Well Angus is 269 and Nimerah 226", she said casually making my jaw hit the floor. "But they look so young", I said still in shock. "Ancient bloodlines Minnette, they are direct descendants of their kinds", she said as Karen burped. "That's so cool", i said making her laugh. "I know", she replied then stood up and started bouncing Karen around hoping she would fall asleep. She did it in an hour.

"Minnette, it's all going to be ok", Adele said then hugged me and left.

I was woken up by a knock on the door that sounded rushed. I found the Royal Beta panting. "They're back but Max has been injured and they need to operate on him. We need your blood", he said making me follow him to the parking lot without question. He drove us there, I looked at the dashboard and it was 120 km/h and I still thought we weren't moving fast enough.

When we reached the hospital I opened the door before the Royal Beta could put the car on parking and rushed inside. I saw a nurse at the reception and the moment she saw me she directed me to the theatre without asking me who I was.

I saw an unconscious Nimerah being rushed to what looked like the Royal wing. "Hello, Mrs. Kincaid. Your mate was shot with six silver bullets and we need to operate on him to remove the bullets before the silver spreads everywhere, for that to happen we will require a blood transfusion to help speed up the healing process", the doctor said and I nodded at everything. I wasn't paying attention.

"Let her see him", the Alpha King said out of nowhere making the doctor agree and step aside. I rushed into the ward and saw Max hooked up to machines I never knew existed. He was once in a coma but it was not this bad. I approached his sleeping form feeling my eyes water. I held his hand and made a silent prayer to the moon goddess.

The doctor took me to the room next to his and started the blood withdrawal process while the other doctors prepped him for surgery. After an hour I was taken to the waiting area where I found Tyson, Riggs, Kira, and Selene waiting for me. They looked like crap but I hugged them regardless. It was nice to see that they were ok.