Part xxiii - Making ammends

Maximus' POV

Everyone was finally settled down. Minnette made dinner in record time, I still don't get how she pulls it off, I guess I should thank Domitian for that. Mum can't stop praising her for the delicious dinner.

It still feels like a dream. Her family and mine are in the same house, our house. I'm honestly speechless. I watched everyone talk and laugh and I honestly feel happy like I didn't almost die when trying to save Nimerah. I recall the look that Minnette had when I said I was going to save the Luna Queen despite how I was treated. She looked powerless, she looked... broken. I want to make her happy again, I just don't know how or where to start.

"Beer?", Royce said dangling a bottle of beer on my face. I took it as he sat next to me. We stared at the forest quietly until he broke the silence. "Perfect place for a run. I bet you do it all the time considering there's no one out here besides you two. It's a nice crib you got here man", he said making me smile. "Yeah, it was a wedding gift from the Alpha King", i said surprising him. "That's some gift, even I would have ditched my family for this", he said making me turn to look at him. I expected to see anger but he had a smile on his face.

"I don't blame you, man. Minnette's a very wonderful woman besides, the moon goddess never makes mistakes. Just don't take her for granted", he said with a serious face. "Waoh! who's smitten now? Do I need to worry about losing my mate to my little brother?", I teased making him chuckle while he drank his beer.

"Thanks for being there for me. I mean it, and I'm sorry for leaving you guys behind, I couldn't leave my mate. Not after finding out about her past. She's been through a lot man, I just wanted to choose her for once and to be honest, it's the best decision I ever made", I said just in time for Jasmine to walk out with Minnette. "Oh hey guys, mind if we join you?", Jasmine asked looking tired with her swollen belly.

"Hell yeah, come sit right here baby mama", Royce said making her giggle. "This place is magical. Makes me wanna go for a run", Jasmine said making Royce chip in, "I told this dude the same thing. This place is dope", he said making Minnette chuckle and then sit next to me. I interlocked our fingers without saying a word as Royce continued to share his adventures with us.

A party of four soon became a part of six when Amika and Colton joined. I turned and saw Amika talking to Minnette. They were laughing and carefree, I knew I had to talk to her.

"Amika, can I talk to you for a second?", I asked when I reached their spot. Minnette's eyes met mine and I gave her a weak smile. "I'll go get us some more drinks", Minnette said then kissed my neck making me purr before going inside. Silver is always hard to control when she does such things. I sat next to Amika having no idea what to say.

"I see she's still not pregnant. Are you still afraid of having kids?", she asked making me choke on my beer. "Waoh! For a big brother you're not an example some of us want to follow", she said with a smile making me remember how close we used to be. I recalled the tears in her eyes as I left and it was the most painful sight.

"What are you afraid of Max?", she asked making me turn to her. Her smile was still intact. "You mean other than exposing us to the humans which is the highest crime one can commit?", I asked making her furrow her brows. "What if you moved to the Royal Pack and got clearance for her family? The Alpha King is at your mercy right now. If you ask me, it's the right time. I can see how she admires Jasmine or how she looks at Ronny when he connects with her. She wants it, bro. You should make it happen before someone else does", she said making me growl at the thought startling her so that she almost fell from the wooden chair. "You'll pay for that", she said with an evil smile ready to push back then saw Minnette coming with their drinks.

"I missed you", i told Amika then gave her a side hug. "Yeah, I missed you too", she said with a chuckle.

Minnette handed her a glass of whiskey and then sat on my lap. "Hey husband", she said making me smirk. "Hey Nette", i replied making her stare at me in shock. Yes, I just used my bedroom voice in the middle of our backyard full of our family members. She bit her lower lip and all we heard was, "And that's my cue to leave". She straddled me and started kissing me right there and then. I moaned so loud that we heard whistles from my siblings but I didn't care.

I was going to enjoy the moment with my mate because we have been through hell together and we deserved a break. I moved to her neck and finally reached her soft spot. I ran my canines through it making her moan. When I did it the second time she pulled back and looked into my eyes with confusion.

"Max?", she called and all I did was look at her with lust. "Does it mean? Are we gonna do it?", she asked and I nodded. "Oh my god! Yes!", she cheered making me chuckle. "Can we wait until my parents leave though? I can't have them hear me scream", she said while blushing.

"You mean, you're scared of having sex with your parents sleeping right next to us", i asked making her smack my chest playfully. "Yes... No... Lisa told me that it's usually hard to control your feelings when it happens and I'm normally loud... I mean, Amy always tells me that so I don't want to have to explain to my parents in the morning why I was screaming", she said making me laugh. "Stop laughing at me", she said while hiding her face in my chest. "Wait, whose Lisa?", I asked trying to recall. "The cook, from the pack house", she said.

I held her face in my hands and kissed the hell out of her, she fit perfectly into me making me deepen the kiss until we were rudely interrupted by Dad. "Ok kids, have a good night", he shouted from his bedroom balcony making us look up and give him a thumbs up. We stayed awake for one more hour and went in when Jasmine said she was feeling sleepy. "Good night guys", I told Amika and Royce who was sleeping in the living room.

I found Minnette already asleep. I kissed her forehead as I pulled her to my chest. She smiled in her sleep.