Part Liii - Love over Mate Bond

Maximus' POV

"Thanks for everything man. I owe you one", I said while giving Chester a handshake. We were putting the last bag in the car at the crack of dawn. "You know you never have to ask me right? Monna and Matt are practically ours, they didn't even notice that you two were gone so the better question is when can we have them full-time?", he asked trying his hardest to sound normal but something was bothering him, I could tell. He seemed too calm since Monna and I got back yesterday.

"Is everything ok man? You seem... tense", my words seem to startle him. "I don't know how to say this but, I was the first one to meet that Beta dude yesterday. He told me that Mila was his mate and made me promise not to hurt her or tell her about it. I guess I'm still shaken by it", he said while scratching the back of his head. It shocked me.

But then again the Royal Beta was always straight to the point. "I knew about it. He told me when she brought Minnette", I had to come clean. "He told me the same thing and with the Beta command, I was bound never to talk about it. Even Minnette doesn't know", I said honestly. "Do you think he will change his mind and come after her?", he asked looking deep in thought. He was hurting. "I think we should leave everything to the moon goddess", I said and he nodded.

"Chester! They won't wake up! You better come carry them or we're leaving them here", Mila shouted and I could have sworn we saw the forest shake. "Geez! I'm coming no need to wake the dead", he said making me laugh. I helped carry Peter and Charles while Chester carried Pearl.

"That's what you get for refusing to go to bed when I told you to", Mila said with her hands on her waist like an old woman scolding her grandkids. "Mila, you're just too much", my wife said with a huge smile on her face and Matt on her hip. I placed the kids in the back seat and fastened their seatbelts. I turned to Minnette and took Matt from her arms. "Thank you husband", she said with a smile then pulled her sister in a hug. "I love you", she said making Mila smile. "Not as much as I love you kiddo", she said. Chester joined the hug then pulled back and got in the car ready to leave.

"I love you too huge kiddo, that height doesn't scare me one bit", she teased making me bend to reach her height and then hug her. "You're such a Mum", i said making her pull back and smile but it only lasted a few seconds. I turned to where her shocked eyes were and saw a grey wolf baring his teeth at us. 

Fuck!

"Why does it look so angry?", Mila asked making me swallow hard. "Don't move Mila", I said and she nodded. Chester got out of the car in a hurry and then rushed to stand in front of Mila. "Chester what do you think you're doing?", she asked looking confused. It made the wolf roar then started walking towards us like he was hunting. I knew that look very well. He was my boss after all.

"Chester. You need to step aside or he will kill you", I warned. "No. He will not have my wife!", he said confidently. "Chester what the hell are you talking about?", Mila asked with shock on her face.

"He is your mate Mila and your husband wants to stop fate from taking its course", the Alpha King said calmly making us all turn to the border. He was panting with two other members of the Royal Guard. "What?", Mila asked making Chester turn to look into her eyes. They were full of guilt. "You knew?", she asked him and he nod then swallowed hard.

"Why didn't you tell me?", she asked him. "I-i-i can't lose you, Mila. You all that I have, please", Chester's words made the Royal Beta's wolf growl. He was right behind him and ready to attack.

"Chester, that's not your choice to make. I understand that this is inconvenient but it's beyond all of us. Please step aside before you get hurt and let her handle it", the Alpha King said making Chester close his eyes and wipe his tears away. He released a breath and then stepped aside. Minnette stood beside him immediately and it looked like he was relieved to have her, he held her hand and looked at her like she was an anchor that kept him sane.

The Royal Beta's wolf sniffed Mila and then hummed in satisfaction. He transformed back into his human form but remained in control. The Alpha King threw a pair of pants at him, he put them on then returned his attention to Mila. "Mate", was all he said. "That's why I was so drawn to you wasn't it?", she asked with her hand on his chin. He closed his eyes and I knew he was feeling the sparks. "I can't let you go", he said looking in her eyes. Mila smiled at him. "Really? What does Wyatt want to do?", she asked and I saw the pain in his eyes. "I can't... I won't allow him to do it", he said like he was struggling to hold on to his control.

"You can, and you will. Not because you want to but because you have to. I have a family and three kids, I can't just up and leave them for you", she said with tears in her eyes. "You don't have to, I will take care of them like they're my own. I will love them with all of my being just don't leave me", he said and for the first time, I saw the Royal Beta's wolf cry. "Sometimes even the moon goddess makes mistakes", she said with a smile on her face, it was not an honest one. "I had to try", he said then his eyes went back to normal.

"I'm sorry, I tried to hold him back but he was too strong", he said with sadness. "Wyatt, look at me... you will find someone who will love you unconditionally. I can feel it. Promise me you won't lose hope", Mila said with furrowed brows. She was rejecting the bond. It was never easy but I guess her love for Chester was stronger.

"I promise", he said then pulled her in a hug. "You have to break the bond now Wyatt", the Alpha King said making them pull apart. The Royal Beta nodded and then cleared his throat. He was going to need all his strength for what was in front of him.

"I Wyatt Maddox, reject you, Mila Harley, as my mate", he said with his head held high and his hands balled into tight fists. "Mila, please say, 'I Mila Harley accept your rejection' then step away immediately because his wolf might go feral and the first target will be your husband", the Alpha King said making my wife tell Chester rush to the car. He did.

"I Mila Harley accept your rejection", she said then rushed to the car. The Royal Beta went down on his knees and screamed as the bond broke. They said that it's the worse pain than that of the dead mate and now I know why.

His eyes started changing like he was about to transform again. "Get out of here now!", the Alpha King shouted at the same time my wife did something that made my blood run cold.