Part xxix - Our new home

Maximus' POV

"Hey man, welcome, let me put Karen to bed then we'll go see the house", Riggs said the moment I walked into his house. I went straight to the fridge and grabbed a bottle of beer as I waited for him.

"Hi Maximus, didn't know you were coming today. How's Minnette?", Adele asked walking into the kitchen, looking like she just woke up. "She's pregnant", I said with a smile and she just froze. "You're serious?", she asked. "Yeah, we're 7 weeks in", I assured her. "Oh, my goddess! finally! Here I was coming to have a serious talk with you, I guess nature took care of that for me", she said with a huge smile. 

"Wait... what serious talk?", I asked making her roll her eyes. "I don't think it matters now but, the day you went to rescue the Luna Queen, I went to your room to keep her company. Riggs told me what you guys went through.

She was so good with Karen that I had to ask her about you two having kids of your own and she made it pretty clear that if she had it her way, you would have been on baby number four right now", the last part made me chuckle. "I promised to have a chat with you and kick some sense into you", she said with a knowing smile. "Yeah, Amika beat you to it", I said making her nod. Riggs walked in looking fresh and ready to leave.

"You're gonna love the house, I promise you", Adele said as we walked out making me feel even more excited. Finally, there will be no missing home or having sleepless nights when her scent disappears from her clothes.

I thought the house would be the exact replica of Riggs' but it wasn't. Riggs' house was a three-bedroom bungalow with a simple design and huge garden but the one that he secured for us was more of a modern design house with four bedrooms, two full baths, one half bath, and a two-car garage. The front and backyard were surrounded by well-cut grass which was just amazing. One look at it and I was sold.

"So what do you think? Does it meet your expectations?", the realtor asked. "Surpassed it. This is perfect", I said making her take out the contracts for me to sign and make the transfer.

"Babe, how are you?", I asked via video call. She was still at work so I hit the jackpot because Domitian was also there. "I'm ok, how did it go?", she asked making me show her the keys. Her face lit up and I was happy that she trusted me that much. I turned the camera and started walking them through the house.

"That is one beautiful house son. I hope I get the best room, the one next to my granddaughter", Domitian said making Nette roll her eyes. "You two are so obsessed I don't know what to do with you", she said making Domitian kiss her forehead and disappear in the kitchen.

"You did good baby daddy", she said making me smirk. "What?", she asked making me stare at her a little longer. Her eyes went wide when she caught my meaning. "You're such a pervert", she said making me laugh. "You know you love it", i said making her nod. "I have to go now, talk later?", she asked and I nodded and then hung up.

When I returned to Riggs' house, I found his wolf playing with Karen in the front yard. She was trying to chase him and he was pretending to move slowly so she would catch up. It made me think of our baby. It excited me in a way.

"Hi Max, come in, dinner is ready. You two, time for dinner chop chop", Adele said making me follow her and Riggs' wolf whimper.

I walked into the dining room and the first thing I saw was a pile of grilled steaks. My mouth started to water and before I could take a step closer to the table Tyson appeared from the back door with a huge smile. "I love my life", he said clapping his hands with excitement. "Do you ever think of anything other than food?", Selene asked from behind me with Karen on her hip. "Well yeah, I think about a lot of things", he pressed with his head held high. "Oh really? like what?", Selene pressed with a raised brow and he just froze. It made me laugh. The dude did love eating.

We sat and waited for Kira, as usual. When she arrived we started feasting.

"Have you met the Alpha King yet?", Tyson asked when we were chilling at the patio. "Noup", I answered shortly because I knew what was following after it. "Are you coming back to the task force?", Kira asked looking worried. I understood why they would be worried. After what happened the last time, I wasn't so sure I would return either but when I had time to think about it, I knew if I walked away, I would regret it.

"Of course, I'm coming back, why wouldn't I?", I asked her playing cool but I knew they could see right through me. "We wouldn't blame you, man. I know I would have walked away if it was me", Riggs said making me give a weak smile. "I know", i replied looking at the sky. "Is Minnette ok with that?", Kira asked again. I was surprised that she was in a chatty mood. "Yes, she's ok with it, excited even. I think it's because we're finally mated and expecting", I said casually even though I knew most of them had no idea that happened. Riggs choked on his drink making me turn to him and smile.

"What the hell man! Congratulations!", he cheered. "Finally!", Kira said while putting her hand out to Tyson who gave her a hundred dollars. Of course, they would bet on it. "I'm happy for you Max, this is really good news", Selene said then hugged me.

It was close to midnight when I got a call from Minnette, she had just reached home and she was about to sleep. She looked cute in her pajamas. "Hi babe, how was your day?", I asked and she yawned before answering me. "I'm ok, you?", she said with her eyes half open. "Babe, I asked about your day", I said with a smirk and she looked startled then released a breath. "What? Oh lord, i'm so sorry, I thought you asked how I was. I think I need to sleep", she said getting between the sheets.

"What time do you go to work tomorrow?", I asked admiring her cute face that was all over my screen. "I'm not, it's my day off and I'm planning to lock myself in the whole day", she said sounding tired then she started snoring. I recorded her then hung up. I was not about to pass on the opportunity to blackmail my wife in the future.