Part xi - The past should stay there

Minnette's POV

I was the first one to arrive at work. My workstation is on the top floor, it has all the top management offices. I didn't know what kind of Boss Winston was so I had to make sure I was at my best.

I wasn't doing it because I was desperately trying to keep my job, I was receiving a generous monthly allowance from the Royal Pack but I needed to keep up appearances. Max wanted me to stay at home or work with Dad at the restaurant but it wasn't my thing. We agreed for me to work at the food processing company with the assumption that there would be fewer temptations and yet here I am reporting to my Ex. Winston Everett or should I say 'the one that got away'.

My phone rang and it was Max. I answered on the first ring. "Babe, how are you?", he said making me smile. I was suddenly calm and feeling like I was on top of the world. "I'm good now", I said in a rush. "Why? What's wrong?", he asked sounding worried. There was a lot of background noise. "Max is everything ok? There's a lot of noise", I said making him hang up. I called him again but there was no answer.

"Careful you might need that in the future", Winston said while standing too close to me making me yelp. "Is that the lucky guy?", he asked looking at my home screen. "Yes. That's my husband,  Maximus", I said with pride. "Where is he? Shouldn't he be keeping an eye on you and not refuse to answer your calls", he asked. Was he eavesdropping? "He would, but he's a soldier so it's not the luxury he can afford", which startled him. "Let me get this straight, you dumped me because of the distance issue only to marry someone who may or may not be putting his life in constant danger? You're such a hypocrite", he said while putting his hands in his pockets struggling to believe me.

"Mr. Everett, what we had was nowhere near what my husband and I have so if you don't mind, I would like for you to tell me how you like your work schedule handled and we will go from there", I said picking up my tablet and leading him to his office. He looked like he wanted to say something but decided against it.

"I need you to change the furniture in here. It looks old", he said inspecting the place. "Do you have a specific design in mind?", I asked while writing down. "Whatever you like should fit just perfectly", I turned to where the voice came from and it was Ethan, his brother. "Aaaah!", I screamed and jumped on him making him laugh. "Woah! Wanna break my back, Minnette?... If I knew this would be the type of welcome I would get, I would have come sooner", he said hugging me with the same force. "Do you mind?", Winston said making me unwrap myself from his brother and straighten my clothes.

"You can pick anything modern, either dark blue or dark grey", he said sitting on the table.

"Congrats, this is an awesome buy little bro, I think Dad's finally gonna be proud", Ethan said then winked at me making me chuckle. "Can you get us some drinks please?", Winston told me looking annoyed. "Still jealous I see. Interesting", Ethan said as I walked out of the office.

When I returned to my desk, I found my phone ringing, I rushed to it and it was Max. "Hey sorry about that, it was a false alarm", he said like he was panting. "Are you running?", I asked trying not to seem worried. "Yes babe, so why are you unhappy?", he asked making me bite my lip. I honestly didn't want to tell him through the phone.

"Mr. Reignfield sold the company to someone else. An old friend of mine", I said knowing it wasn't all true but I had to save the rest of it for when we met. "Oh that's sad, I liked the old guy. What's the new Boss's name?", he asked, and before I could answer Winston opened the door. "Minnette, I thought I asked you for drinks. Oh! he finally decided to call you back?", he teased making me furrow my brows and give him the middle finger.

"Nette...Who the fuck is that?", Max asked with a voice I knew too well. The last time I heard it, was when we were at the bar, someone touched my ass and ended up with a black eye. "That's my new Boss, the one I mentioned earlier", I said nervously. "Minnette Kincaid, what's his name?", Silver asked and I was on the verge of peeing in my pants. "Winston Everett", I said in a rush. There was a bit of silence then I heard a roar that lasted a beautiful two minutes.

"You mean your Ex ex-boyfriend bought the company and you're now his PA?", Max asked. "Yes, look there's nothing between us, better yet, we hate each other so there's nothing to worry about. I promise you that", I said making him release a breath. "I trust you. I have to go, we'll talk later", he said and hung up before I could say anything. Yap! The cat's out of the bag.

I went to the kitchen and made two coffees one with honey and another with sugar and milk on the side. I returned and found them looking at a presentation on the screen. I placed the coffee in front of them and was about to leave when Winston sipped his coffee and smiled. "You remember", he said making me nod and leave.

I started researching furniture stores that had modern style and placed the orders I needed. I called the admin team informing them of the change in furniture that was supposed to be done after work hours. I was glad that the furniture guys agreed to my timings. I checked on Mum, she complained that Dad was talking to Max alone all the time, something that they fought over all the time. I moved to Mila who invited me to go to a club on Friday, something about being stressed. So I agreed.

A Month Later...

It was finally the day to introduce the new management for the company to the world and I was happy to discover that Winston was a great Boss, not just to me but everyone. The employees are happy and it's been real.

"You look amazing tonight Minnette", Winston said appearing from his office. "You're not supposed to be there. Don't you get time to rest?", I asked making him smile. "Not really, let's go", he said pulling me to the elevators. We arrived at the conference hall where everyone was dancing, drinking, and eating. Someone cleared their throat from behind us making us turn and I felt like fainting.

"Hello, sorry we didn't mean to be in the way", Winston said with a smile. "Uh, Winston... this is my husband Maximus. Max this is my Boss Winston", I said making Wiston's smile disappear and a smirk appear on Max's face. Oh shit.