Part xxxvi - Home sick

Minnette's POV

I woke up with puffy eyes and a headache. Mum slept with me in our bedroom and I used her as my bobby pillow since I never bought one and I also needed a shoulder to cry on literally. "Mum, can we go home? I miss everyone", I said when we were having breakfast. "I'm ok with that, anything to make you and my grandbaby feel better", she said. 

I wanted to go home. At least there I would run to Mila or Sebastian to complain about Max and they would have something to say that would make me feel better. I wanted to see Dad and make him cook something nice for me. I just needed to go home. I was in the middle of my own cloud completely forgetting Mum when there was a knock. "Are you expecting anyone?", Mum asked and I shook my head. She went to open and it was Claudia. 

"Oh am I glad to see you this morning", she cheered but Mum looked at her like she just lost her nuts. "Mum, step aside, that's the walking mate I told you about... the one I met at the grocery store", I explained and she nodded. Still looking uptight. She did that every time she met someone she didn't like. I think my hormones are affecting her too.

"What do you have there?", I asked making her hold the paper bag to her face. "This is a vanilla smoothie, the best in the whole pack", she said while handing it over to me it sounded delicious. I was almost reaching it when Mum snatched it away. "She just ate. Let me put it in the fridge for later", Mum said looking at Claudia suspiciously. She must not like her at all.

"I'm sorry about that. Come on in", I said leading Claudia to the living room.

"So how have you been? I thought I would meet Max today. I heard he returned", she said with a smile when I didn't return it she looked concerned. "Hey, what's wrong? Is he alright?", she asked and I nodded. "This is silly. He was here and he had left for work again, I didn't even get to show him the baby's ultrasound photos", I said making her give a weak smile. "Don't be like that. He will be back in no time", she said making me feel better instantly.

We talked about the little things like nursery decorations and baby names I had in mind. It was nice. Mum was nowhere to be seen. She was clearly avoiding Claudia. "Oh my, I must be going now, I have an afternoon shift at the grocery store. I'll see you soon ok?", she said and I agreed then walked her out.

I looked at Riggs' house and saw Adele's wolf playing with Karen, it made me smile and think of our baby doing the same with its father. Thinking of Max made me start crying again. I walked back in and remembered the smoothie. I went to the kitchen and took it. I drank it quickly so that Mum wouldn't catch me. It was so yummy. I put the cup in the dust bin, getting rid of the evidence then went up the stairs to find Mum. I was on the third stair when I started feeling stomach pain. It became worse the further I moved up so I decided to remain still with my hand on the wall.

"Mum! Help me!", I said holding on to my belly with one hand while screaming in pain. Mum came rushing to me. "What's wrong Minnette?", she asked looking scared. "It hurts. My stomach hurts", I said while holding on to my bell even more. She rushed outside and a few minutes later returned with Adele.

"Did she eat something?", she asked Mum. "Just breakfast in the morning, I was about to come down and make lunch when I heard her calling me", she explained while Adele mind-linked someone. I pointed to the dust bin and Mum quickly ran to it. She took out the smoothie cup and showed me. "Did you drink the smoothie she brought you?", she asked and I nodded feeling something wet coming down my inner thigh. I thought it was urine but it wasn't, it was black and it looked scary. "M-m-mum", was all I could say and they all looked at the floor I was standing on in horror.

"What's going on?", Selene and Kira entered in a hurry, and when they saw the liquid they furrowed their brows. Take her to the bathroom and make sure she vomits everything quickly", Kira instructed Selene who practically carried me to our bedroom. "She's been poisoned give me the smoothie cup. We need to find out what they put in it otherwise I can't help her", I heard Kira tell my mother.

"Minnette, you probably gonna hate me for this but I have to do it otherwise it will reach the baby", Selene said, and before I could process her meaning she shoved her fingernails down my throat twice and I started throwing up black slimy stuff. It was a lot and I couldn't stop crying while doing it. She was soothing me on the back until I couldn't throw up anymore. She wiped my mouth with tissues and then flushed away the weird stuff.

"Who gave you the smoothie?", She asked but before I could answer Kira walked in with Mum. She had a glass with pink steaming things in it. "Drink this", she said and I hesitated but eventually drank. To my surprise, it was cold and tasted like hibiscus. I started feeling dizzy and lost consciousness on the spot.

"She said her name was Claudia and she was a friend she met at the grocery store. I'm telling you everything about her felt wrong. She wanted Minnette to drink the smoothie right away claiming it was the best in the pack but I felt something was off so I took it to the fridge to get rid of it after she left", "This is insane. That poison is enough to kill a horse. Why would she do such a thing to harm Minnette?", "We need to tell the Alpha King". The place went quiet again.

"How is she?", "Stable. There's no way of knowing for sure until she wakes up", "And the baby?", "She's fine", "Keep me and the family posted. Her health is a top priority are we clear?", "Yes, your Majesty".

I opened my eyes and the first thing I saw was a figure standing by the door of my ward. "Doctor?", I called and they were startled and then ran away. It was weird. It must have been the nurse rushing to call the doctor. I waited but no one appeared so I pressed the button next to my bed and I heard someone rushing over. "Oh Minnette, you're awake", Mum said but gasped when she was closer. "What?", I asked and she gave me her phone which was on the front camera. My eyes we no longer green but red just like Max's. What is going on?