Part xx - Suspect number one

Maximus' POV

I felt the guards look at me as if calculating possible escape routes. Honestly, I don't get it. I had an alibi that could prove my whereabouts the whole day. What the Alpha King was saying made no sense at all. I could see that he doubted himself too.

When we reached the office, the Royal Beta switched the TV screen and displayed surveillance footage that showed me leaving with an unconscious Luna Queen on my shoulder four hours ago. I was shocked.

"You see how it's hard for us to believe you?", the Royal Beta asked. I furrowed my brows, "I don't know what to tell you. That's not me. It has to be a mistake. You both know how intense my wife's heat gets, I couldn't have done this", I said honestly but they both didn't believe me. I could see it in their eyes.

"I'm sorry Max but we need to keep you in custody until this is resolved", the Alpha King said and told the guards to take me to the dungeons. "You're making a mistake. Please believe me. I would never harm the Luna Queen. At least let me stay with my wife in the room, she needs me", I said as I was dragged out but it was all in vain.

I was taken to a cell that was in the pack house's basement. "Wyatt, please let me see my wife... please. I can feel her pain, she needs me", I begged. It destroyed my ego but it was nothing compared to not being able to help my wife. I would do anything for my Minnette, including begging the people who are accusing me of something I would never dream of doing.

"I can't do that Maximus, I can't bring her here. I can't let her see you this way", he said honestly. I didn't want it either but I had no choice. "I don't care, just bring her to me, I need to be with her, it's my fault that we're here, I need her please", I said and he nodded his head.

I waited for hours but no one came.

Then i finally heard footsteps heading my way.

He brought my mate in his arms, she was sleeping with her body shivering every time Wyatt moved. I swallowed hard and took her from his arms like a new born baby. The moment I had her in my arms she relaxed. She was covered in sweat. "I'm so sorry Minnette, please forgive me for this", I said then held her close to me as I sat on an uncomfortable mattress.

"I brought her a change of clothes", the Alpha King said surprising me, I had no idea he was in the room. I nodded my head and for some reason, I felt Silver growling with anger. He felt betrayed. I didn't blame him, we did everything the Alpha King asked me to and the first thing he did after finding out about the Luna Queen's kidnapping was lock me up despite all the evidence looking suspicious. 

"Max, I know that you feel betrayed but I can't have the council question my judgment, I know this is not ideal and I'm sorry, but it had to be done. You above all people should understand the lengths we're willing to go for our mates", he said making me remember how I walked away from my family for Minnette. I nod and he left.

"Why are we in a cell?", Minnette asked while stretching herself making me smile at her, hoping she didn't notice the pain behind it. "Well, someone who looks like I kidnapped Nimerah yesterday", I said leaving it at that. To say she was shocked was an understatement.

The Alpha King entered the cell with a pissed Selene. "How could you? He's been nothing but loyal to you!", Minnette shouted while getting out of the mattress. I held her back before she could attack him. "Let me go Max! Take your hands off me now!", she screamed making me pull her closer to me. She panted while glaring at the Alpha King who watched her without any emotion.

'I apologise for her behaviour Your Majesty, she's just stressed', I mindlinked him. 'It's understandable', that's all he said surprising me by answering at all. I thought he came to take me to the torture room since that's how it usually works. "Minnette, I'm here to apologise to you and Max. We have discovered that the rogues are currently working with a witch and she's the one who made the enchantment.

Selene caught her on the south border performing the enchantment on another rogue to have him appear as me and we were able to stop it in time. She told us everything, including where the Luna Queen was taken", he said and all I heard was we could finally go home.

"Thank goddess", I said with a smile but when I turned to Minnette, she looked angrier than I'd ever seen her before. She was gonna blow and I couldn't let that happen. 'Silver, if she disrespects the Alpha King again, we are done for', I told Silver knowing exactly what a pissed-off Minnette was like. 'I know, I got this', he said confidently making me give him control.

"Minnette", Silver called her name making her turn to us, she looked shocked. "It's time to go home", he said more like a command. She greeted her teeth, her hands turning into fists. "But it's n-", she tried to talk but Silver interrupted her. "It does matter, drop it... Now!", he said again making her bow her head in defeat. He hugged her and then kissed her forehead. Her body relaxed instantly.

"You can't go yet. We need you in this mission", Selene said making Minnette's body tense. She wanted to turn to them but Silver held her in place. "Can't John's team handle this?", Silver asked. "No. He's the one who framed you", she said then folded her hands in front of her chest making Silver growl. "What?", he asked again. "He's also working with the rogues. They offered him an Alpha title once the mission of killing me and taking the throne is complete", the Alpha King said with a neutral face.

"You know Nimerah more than any of us. If she left signs or marks anywhere you will be able to spot them. Help me get her back and I will grant whatever wish you have", he said and I nodded.

"Minnette... babe, I'm gonna release you now, do you promise to not do anything crazy?", Silver whispered the bargain in her ear and she nodded. He unfolded his hands allowing her to face Selene and the Alpha King. She had tears all over her face. She wiped them away and stood silently.

"Minnette, I know I've disappointed you but this is my mate and your Luna Queen, I had to take precautions. I apologise for breaking your trust", the Alpha King said honestly. More tears fell from her eyes. She didn't say a thing.

"We're leaving in thirty", he said then walked out of the cell leaving Selene behind. "Are you gonna be ok at the pack house?", Selene asked my wife and she just nodded.