Part xxxviii - Self restraint

Maximus' POV

Her facial expression turned to that of horror when the words came out of my mouth, she tried to talk but I grabbed her wrist and furrowed my brows. Her eyes sparkled purple and she said some weird words but was shocked when nothing happened. 'Give me control, I will end her right now!', Silver demanded and started fighting me. "Tyson hurry up!", I said trying to hold him back.

"Maximus, please listen to me. It's not what you think. She's not your mate, I am. You're being lied to my love, you're mine and mine alone. Please let me go, you're hurting me", Calypso pleaded. It made Silver get angrier and finally win over me. He transformed for the first time since the mating process and instead of having paws I had my normal fingers and was standing on two feet. I was still covered in blonde fur and for some reason, everything seemed too small including a now-hanging Calypso. "You're a lycan!", she said with a trembling voice making Silver furrow his brows and then roar.

"Fucking goddess! You're a lycan?", Silver turned to see Tyson and Kira look at us with shock. Silver was an inch and a half taller than Tyson and it felt weird in so many ways. "Put her down Silver. We need to cuff her and take her to the Alpha King", he said making Silver huff. Trying to decide whether to end her on the spot or listen to the King's orders. 'She tried to kill mate and pup', he said to me. 'I know how you feel buddy. But we can't go against the King's orders', I said making him growl then hand her over to Tyson.

Her eyes turned purple again but as before nothing happened. "How can my powers not affect you?", she asked Tyson who looked uninterested. He locked the cuffs then turned to Kira and nodded. "You can come out now!", she shouted then Riggs and Selene appeared from behind the grocery store. They were all in shock when their eyes fell on Silver. "This is so badass", Selene said with a smirk.

'You guys go ahead, we need to cool off', I mind-linked Riggs who nodded. We ran home passing people who kept looking at us in awe. We were too distracted to care. When I felt like Silver was calmer, I told him to take us home. I figured we would need clothes considering my dress pants got torn and were literally turned into very short shorts. At least I wasn't naked.

'I like the new me', he said when we reached home. 'I like it too', I told me recalling how fast he could run and how he easily tore down a couple of trees on the way home. It felt good. 'Let's change and go to the palace. We need to finish this then go to Minnette', I said and he hummed in approval. We changed into a pair of jeans and a dress shirt then left for the palace. I decided to take the truck because I was intending to return with my wife.

"Max, I heard about what happened. How is Minnette doing?", the Luna Queen asked me when I found her with the Alpha King's sister. "She's fine. Kira was able to give her an antidote before the poison could cause more damage", I explained and she nodded.

'Where are you?', I asked Kira through the mindlink. 'The dungeon', she said sounding pissed. I went to the dungeon. Seeing the sales made me recall when I was put in them. It was a memory I wanted to forget with all that I had.

"You look fresh", Tyson teased making me roll my eyes at him. The Alpha King and Royal Beta were inside the cell interrogating Calypso. She was covered in blood. "What happened to her?", I asked Riggs who pointed to Kira. "She called me a disgrace to my kind so I just showed her how much of a misfit I am", she said with an evil smirk that terrified me. "Yap, I had the same feeling. So creepy", Tyson said and I nodded. There was a window barrier between us and the interrogation room. We could hear them but they couldn't hear or see us.

"Who gave you clearance to join my pack?", the Alpha King asked looking dangerously calm. "A man called John. He said he worked at the palace. I told him about me and Max and he said he would allow me into the pack and the time will come and I will have to help him with something but he never did", she said sounding tired. "That bastard had a plan for everything didn't he?", Selene said making my hands turn to fists as I recalled him pointing a gun at Nimerah and actually shooting at her right before I jumped in front of her and got my fair share of silver bullets.

"And why come after my warrior? What do you want with Maximus Kincaid?", the Royal Beta asked looking angrier than usual. I figured it was because he felt somewhat responsible for me. He has been friendly since I found out about the Mila situation. "He's my mate!", she said confidently. "What? How?", he asked again. "He has been my true mate ever since we were in college", she said confidently making them furrow their brows. 'Ask her who Gordon Albertson is', I mindlinked the Alpha King.

"Who is Gordon Albertson?", he asked and she was shocked. "How did you know that name? Did Max tell you? Is he here? Can I see him?", she pleaded. "I'm your King Calypso I know everyone now speaks!", he finally used the Alpha command clearly showing he was running out of patience. "He was my true mate. He was killed by the rogues. Max saved me before I was also killed. I've been in love with him ever since. I tried to show him many times but he didn't see it. Then he moved out of the pack and when I asked around  I was told he moved here so I came here to make him mine again but that wife of his kept being in the way. I had to get rid of her so Max and I could be together forever", she said with a smile, like she was imagining things in her head.

"And what about the baby?", the Royal Beta asked. "I would have given him children, we didn't need a reminder of her existence. She was so easy to manipulate considering he was neglecting her. The Max I know would never leave a pregnant woman all alone like that. He doesn't love her because he loves me, just wait and see", she said with a weird smile.

"She's nuts!", Riggs said and we all nodded at the same time. The Royal Guards walked in and took her away. The Alpha King looked troubled. "Wyatt, we need to do a thorough inspection of all the pack members i need it to match the books. I don't want any more surprises in case John did some other bullshit we missed", the Alpha King said angrily with his eyes turning a weird rainbow color.