Part L - Winning my wife back

Maximus' POV

"You think this is gonna work?", I asked Mila as she was teaching me how to make lasagne. I wanted to cook for Minnette when we reached the family cabin. "Yes, it will Max. Believe in yourself ok?", she cheered and I was suddenly confident. "What time are you guys leaving?", she asked and I looked at my wristwatch. "In an hour", I said and she nodded. We ended up staying at the North Dragon Pack for a week and during that time I tried to call Minnette but she still didn't pick up. This is the longest that we have gone without talking. "Max, everything is going to be ok. She already agreed to let me and my gang tag along so making her leave them with us at the pack will be easy", Mila said making me smile. I'm grateful for her.

Nimerah has been looking at me ever since the ceremony too intensely and I know she has noticed that something is wrong. I just hope that she doesn't corner me into telling her the truth.

I led the Luna Queen into her convoy and we started the journey back. I was sure to sit in the car that was leading it while Riggs rode the same car as Nimerah. 'Max, I know you're avoiding me. If I've done something wrong I would like to know', she mindlinked me which startled me. 'I'm not Your Majesty. You haven't done anything wrong. I just have a lot in my mind', I replied. 'Are you sure?', she asked. 'Absolutely', I replied and she dropped the conversation. 

"Daddy!", Monna shouted the moment I walked into the house. The place was lively but then again that's what happens when you have Mila's family around. Peter, Charles, and Pearly are an active bunch but nothing I can't handle.

I went on my knees and hugged her. The rest saw me and came to hug me too. "Hi, Uncle Max. We were waiting for you", Peter said making me laugh, and then ruffled his hair. I walked into the living room and found Chester, Mila, and Minnette talking about food with Matt playing with her necklace. It was a gift I gave her on her birthday after giving birth to Matt and I was happy she still wore it. "Hey, man! Welcome back", Chester said then stood up and gave me a bro hug. "Thanks Chester, it's been a while", I said pulling back. I hugged Mila who also gave me positive vibes.

I looked at Minnette and she was still sitting. Her face looked tired like she didn't sleep at all and her eyes were almost lifeless. I took Matt from her, he was about to start crying but changed his mind when he saw me. "Dada!", he said then slapped my face between his tiny hands. "Hey, buddy! I missed you so much", I said then kissed his tiny forehead. By the time I turned back to Minnette, she was disappearing with my bags up the stairs. I turned to Mila who nodded then took Matt from me.

I found her unpacking the bag and putting the dirty clothes in the laundry basket. I stood behind her and stopped her. She remained quiet. "I'm so sorry. I had no right to talk to you like that. Goddess knows if I were you I wouldn't have lasted a minute. I love you", I said and felt a tear leave my eye and land on her naked shoulder. It made her gasp then turned to look into my eyes and for the first time in what seemed like forever, I saw her deep green eyes sparkle with red and hope. She smiled.

"It's suffocating. Sometimes I can barely breathe", she said in a low voice making me furrow my brows. "I know, you don't have to do it alone anymore. I'll make sure of it", I said making her eyes water. She hugged me so tight that I felt her strength slightly increase reminding me of the day she accidentally broke my wrist when my brothers and I joked about her hearing Dad and Mum have sex. It made me smile. "I love you, Max. I didn't mean to hang up on you I just wanted some space", she said while sobbing.

"It's ok", I said then pulled back. I made her sit on the edge of the bed the kneeled in front of her. Looked into her eyes. "I have an idea. Let's go away for a while. Just a week", I said hoping she would agree. "I can't do that, we can't leave Mila and Chester here alone", she said as a matter of fact. "They won't be Adele can help and Riggs too. I need to nurse you back to health again. Minnette you need to relax and regain your strength, we can't do it here with Monna and Matt around. Please say yes, it's just for a week", I said. "What about your work?", she asked looking concerned. "I'm on a one-month break", i said and her jaw almost hit the floor.

"I took a break from work. It wasn't easy to get it but I figured, if you were able to do all you could for our family. I should do the same. So I asked the Royal Beta, and even though he said no, the Alpha King agreed, so here I am", I said and she was still shocked. She pulled me to her lips and it was like the first time I kissed her, soft lips, an eruption of sparks every place her hands touched my skin and all I could do was enjoy the moment with a moan until someone knocked on the door.

"Is it on?", Mila asked when I opened the door. "Yes it is", Minnette answered making us both turn to her with a surprised expression on our faces. Her hearing was back, finally! Mila smiled. "Good, it's time for you to hit the road then", she said then left. "You guys planned this?", she asked and I smiled. "The getaway part yes. Not the apology part. I want you to know that I wanna become a better father and mate to my family so here I am", I said and she smiled again. She looked better.

"Look, we'll be fine. Besides look at them, they're having the time of their lives with their cousins", Chester assured Minnette when I was putting our bags in the car. "Minnette, I'm your favorite sister. I got this", Mila said while pushing her out the door. I went to the living room and called all the kids. "Guys I need you to behave ok? When I get back I'll ask Chester to tell me who behaved the most and that person will be going to the cinemas with me", my offer made their faces light up. Monna raised her hand and I nodded. "Daddy will there be popcorn?", she asked. "Yes, princess. The biggest package they have", I said and her eyes went wide with excitement. "So. Who will behave more than the rest?", I asked while standing up. "Me!!!", they shouted at the same time. "Good. I love you guys", "We love you too!".