xxvii. well played, ms. ward

────────────── ✧༺

𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍,                     𝒘𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒚𝒆𝒅, 𝒎𝒔. 𝒘𝒂𝒓𝒅

𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝚃𝚆𝙴𝙽𝚃𝚈 𝚂𝙴𝚅𝙴𝙽 !

┌────── ⚾ ──────┐
OCTOBER 12, 2018
└────── ⚾ ──────┘

          ❛❛𝐈 𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐎 𝐃𝐎 𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐒𝐄,❜❜ luce admitted as she leaned against the wall with a beer in hand. "i mean, do i hang around with the old guys and their wives, or you guys?"

"that is one thing you'll have to figure out on your own, my friend," giancarlo replied.

despite the disappointing end to the season, the yankees had spared no expense on their 'until next season' party which luce thought was stupid but she still went because giancarlo and didi made her

giancarlo was known to be a social butterfly. he could make friends with anybody, anywhere, at anytime.

but seeing as every woman in the room was taken, he had decided to keep his counterpart company.

luce had opted to stay in the corner of the room by the pool table while everybody else around them socialized.

she enjoyed seeing her players relaxed. this wasn't a time to work, or play, or place blame on anybody for anything. this was a time for the yankees and their wives to be relaxed with each other.

"i don't want them to see me," she muttered, ducking back into the shadows to hide her face. "if they see me they'll ask questions."

"you like amber," giancarlo pointed out. "and judy, and elizabeth."

"i do," she agreed. "but i also don't wanna talk."

"bad day?" he asked, taking a swig of beer.

"always."

"what would make it better?" giancarlo asked, handing her the rest of his beer. she shrugged as she watched aaron talk to amber.

"beer? tequila? movie?" he listed, trying to follow her eyes.

"i don't know," she muttered under her breath, rolling her neck but not taking her eyes off of the right fielder.

"what do you need, an 'i love you' or something?" he joked.

she said nothing as she downed the last of his beer. giancarlo sighed before wrapping an arm around her shoulder.

"i love you," he said cheerfully, jostling her around.