xxxviii. davis and johnson

────────────── ✧༺

𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓,                     𝒅𝒂𝒗𝒊𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒋𝒐𝒉𝒏𝒔𝒐𝒏

𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝚃𝙷𝙸𝚁𝚃𝚈 𝙴𝙸𝙶𝙷𝚃 !

┌────── ⚾ ──────┐
MAY 10, 2022
└────── ⚾ ──────┘

          𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐉𝐀𝐇 𝐃𝐀𝐕𝐈𝐒 𝐇𝐀𝐃 never thought he was the sharpest knife in the drawer.

he wasn't stupid, but being surrounded by the likes of bobbi may, who had two PhDs in fields he couldn't even pronounce, william johnson, his best friend, who was pretty much a tactical fucking genius, clint may, who had been a scientist before transferring to combat, elena delgado, who could speak more languages then he could count, luciana ward, who was possibly the smartest person he'd ever met for no other reason other then she just was, and melinda yhang who needed no introduction, he had always felt stupid and expendable.

"eli!"

"what?" he shouted back, not straying from his task of making sure his bag was packed as william walked in. the two were shipping out with the cavalry herself to denver for an assignment, an assignment neither of them were particularly excited about.

on top of that, both men knew what day it was, or more like they knew who's day it was, but neither of them had the courage or bravery to pick up a phone and call her to wish her a happy 30th birthday.

they wanted to call, but they just couldn't.

davis had actually grown a pair earlier that day and texted her, but he didn't call.

william, who, much like elijah, was very tall and strongly built, had his own duffle bag thrown over his shoulder, and he tapped his foot impatiently as he waited for his friend to be ready.

"you ready yet?" he ran a hand through his blond hair as davis rummaged around his bag one last time

"davis! johnson!" melinda walked in with her signature scowl that had the power to scare millions into submission. "i don't have all fucking day. hurry up."

"working on it, linny," he muttered, zipping up his duffle bag.

he noticed the file she gripped in her right hand, or more specifically, the two headshots that were pinned on the cover.

"have you told her?" william asked as he noticed what davis was looking at.

"no."

both men stayed silent, staring at her as they waited for her to give them an explanation.