Chapter 9

Are we getting more strawberries? Umm I mean if you want. So no. No. Okay cool. Do I just leave ro or? I never had any kids but I'm betting it's not safe to leave him in the car asleep. Eh he'll be fine, he slept in worse conditions at our house. Wow okay. So why are we here? We're here to spread Cassie's ashes. Oh wow. Yep! That's a beautiful urn by the way. Yeah thanks she loved it. What do you mean? She picked out all the stuff she wanted when she died kinda like an Amazon wishlist but with death as the main topic. Wow uh dark. Like her soul. He said smiling back at Rae. Rae just patted his shoulder as they sat on the bench. Why the strawberry tree? I don't even know. Hmm. She actually hated strawberries. WHAT?! Who hates strawberries?!?! She did. So now that really inches me to know more about why here. I don't know there's some sense that it just needs to be here, I feel like in death or when you grieve someone you just know what they what want and she hated me when we first met and now look at us...we're a sappy death trope out of a movie. Rae snorted. It wasn't that funny. No but it was DARK. Po laughed as he opened the urn and started to pour her ashes around the tree. You know sometimes I think about my mom dying but not like a daily sadistic thing but because she's stuck there with my dad who knows how mad he'll get and what'll happen. Po looked at Rae but didn't say anything. You came at the worst time but also the best because I don't have to worry about ro I just have to worry about her and that hurts the most. We can go back. No no and as bad as it sounds she would've took a toll on us and this runaway I just have to hold out hope that she'll be strong enough to come back to her old self and find us. Cassie was always the same i think that's what scared me the most...me getting dementia and her sitting there feeding me applesauce and showing me our favorite movies, I didn't want that for her and she didn't want that for herself or me either. We'll be okay. I believe we will. Rae gestured for po to sit down. He walked over and sat by her as she laid her head on his shoulder. Ro finally woke up and walked over to them rubbing his eyes. What are we doing guys? Wait one second I can't hear when I rub my eyes. One secondddd...okay go ahead. They laughed. We were spreading Cassie's ashes. Ah the ol sappy death trope movie thing. Po cackled as Rae put her hands in her face from shame. What? What did I say?

The thrift store? Yep. Oh god. Yayyyy. Ro shut up. No! Let me enjoy my first thrift store moment. Fine fine. Po chuckled and got out the car. Let's go sissy! Yeah. They all headed in. Rae's hair was long enough to put in a ponytail but her goal this year or at least for school was to have it longer and her other goal was to make at least two friends but honestly she just needed one all around best friend to balance her out and she wasn't worried about her grades cause she was like really smart. Do you know the dress code for the school you have in mind? I think it's black plaid kinda dark academia type and you wear ties Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. That's so fucking stupid. Rae watch your mouth remember I'm paying. Yeah I'm sorry I just hate uniform and school. Yeah and I hate you guys but look at me right now. Rae scoffed as ro covered his ears in shock and hurt. Kidding! Rae grabbed some clothes and walked over to the fitting room.

If crack was black and in need of lack. Who are you? Fucking dr. Seuss. Wow Po subtle. You said the stupid shit! Hey hey watch your mouth! I just hate dumb rhymes and overdramatic fifteen year olds. Woww REAL subtle. Po laughed. I like it. Me too. Good. Ro come out. Don't rush a fashion icon. Rae sighed annoyingly and opened the door. Hey! I could've been naked still. Ro said covering up his fully clothed body. You're fixing your sock. I'm STILL vulnerable. How? It's a sock. She doesn't get it. Po chimed in. Nah she doesn't. You look cute now can we leave? Wait but one more thing. What now? Matching sweaters for Christmas. Rae left everything and Ran off. We broke her. Ro laughed. Well are you happy with your stuff? Yes thank you. I am too! I'm glad but my pockets aren't. Yeah sorry about that old guy. Rae patted his shoulder and rolled her mouth in. You don't feel bad. Nah not really.

How do you feel about going to school? Like it's school and I'll be okay. Hmm how about you ro? I'm excited! I'm really smart and I need to put that smartness where it should be. Calm down Einstein. Stop being a damn buzzkill Rae your brother is allowed to be excited. I'm not doing this. Rae put her fork down and walked away. Sissy?? It's okay, give her a minute. Okay. After you finish eating you can watch tv for an hour then go to bed. Okay! Po stood up and walked after Rae. Rae? Raeeee? Yes. Why are you so upset? I'm not. Yes you are, you have something that's eating at you and it's affecting all of us now not just you. I'm fine. Oh yeah? I am too. Okay cool. No we're not done, talk to me right now or I'll give all those clothes I bought back at the store. Rae what IS wrong? I'm tiredddd I'm tired of all of it, I'm carrying the weight of my father's punches and the guilt of my mother and the selflessness of Ro I cannot take it anymore and I'm not scared because of school or what those kids will think they don't matter but my mental health and my heart does. You're totally right. I'm sorry for being mean. It's a balance and I don't blame you. I blame me though. Don't...just move on. Po grabbed Rae's hand and shook it. Just get through it. Yeah. Yeah. Rae smiled and sighed.