Chapter 21

Rae was still asleep. Grace was in the room now and she was so worried about Rae. I just don't get why she's not waking up. She couldn't have lost that much blood. I don't know mom. Of course not you're only five. I don't mean to be mean or harsh but this is too much right now. Yeah I know but I have a broken hand and clearly a broken sister...we all feel pain about this but she's the one who's hurting the most. I know I know. Grace grabbed Rae's hand and laid her head on it. Wake up wake up please, I won't be here much longer and you're so resilient I can't have this kill you. I remember when you were two and you peed on everything it was SO bad. Ro laughed. Grace smiled looking at Rae. You're so strong, you managed to escape from us...your father and I and even your fuckhead brothers but now you're back and of course this happens and I'm solid because everything else hurts but I love you.

I'm pregnant Rodrigo. How many months? Four. Why didn't you tell me? He said slurring his words. Because you're drunk right now and you hit me and our kids. Girl or boy? Girl. Ah nice. Rodrigo took a sip of his beer and went to kiss her stomach but spit the beer on her stomach by accident. FUCK! Grace stood up and took off her shirt. You're an asshole. What? It was an accident like the baby. Fuck off. Grace put another shirt on and grabbed his beer. YO CHILL THE FUCK OUT. He grabbed it back and hit her in the neck with it. Grace fell and looked at him. Good luck getting to a doctor. Grace just laid there.

Yeah she should be waking up in a day or two. Why so long? The blood loss was crucial so her body needs the blood remaining to heal and obtain strength..it's a good thing she isn't dead. Yeah. Grace you should get back. What if she wakes up?! We'll come back. And ro? He can go with you. Ro? Yeah I'll go sure. Okay baby, thank you. Mhm. Ro kissed Rae's forehead and followed his mom.

She's not okay. Who cares? I do. Do you? Cause you've barely seen mom the whole time we've been here. I can't go in there. I don't want to...fuck her. Fuck you ramiro. Ramiro looked and laughed a little. Don't be disrespectful. Raul stood up and punched Ramiro. He shook his hand off and walked away. Ramiro spit out the blood and walked into his mothers room. Get out. What ma? I just wanna talk. I want you out. Why? You're horrible. Mom. Ramiro Joseph Wilson fuck off. Wow. You love saying wow as if you're not the younger version of him. She looked at him with spite. Learn from the best. I have three kids. Four. He said cutting her off. No three..you're not one of those kids and I don't know where I went wrong with you but you're not what I wanted you to be...but of course your dad had to take over and ruin you at least with Raul he's trying because all you have to do is try but I've lost it I lost my way with you and you're old enough you're past helping, I remember when you were little and you'd get me your favorite fruit snack flavor or give me the last of something and you were considerate and kind and he started to hit you and me and it shattered you it broke you more than Raul and you turned it into something horrific and you come and laugh in my face for being sick because of your FATHER...he's the cause and you you're the reason so I don't want you near my THREE kids so get out. Ramiro smiled. Fine, fuck you.

Ro was coloring in the cafeteria thinking about his two girls. Um hi you've been here for awhile. Ah yeah my mom is sick and my sister slit her wrists and oh my father he hit all of us. My mom and dad was like that..both dead. Ah sucks mom is gonna die before he does. The way of life. I guess. I'm sorry about your sister. Thanks. So you color? I'm five of course I do. You seem like a very smart five year old. I am. Useful. In an economy like this? Useless. True. So what's your name? You first. Roel but Ro mostly. Im pat but Patrick. Nice. Hmm. Why are you here Patrick? Daughter...cancer. Oh. Yeah I uh hate hospitals they make me uneasy and depressed. They make a lot of people like that. Nah not my second wife, my daughters mom...she loved them you know, hated staying at home having people who were sick a few times in their life help her....liked the professionals and the handsome doctors. Ahh. Complicated but lovely woman. Sounded lovely. You just assume she's dead? I mean. She is..she's dead. Oh I'm sorry. She died in a hospital..she's ecstatic. Ro snorted. I'm sorry. I'm sorry too..she died in a hospital instead of with me. Where were you? In another woman. Wow. Kidding. That one wasn't as funny. Yeah. So where were you? I was taking care of maddy, she got diagnosed the same day. Oh god. Yeah..lost both of them that day but lost Lucy officially. That's horrible...GOD everything is so horrible you know? Everyone I meet has this horrible story that they tell about death or something and I don't want that to be every experience I have when I'm older but tell me more about her. Who? Lucy. Loved strawberries, loved making jam with them..her favorite fruit. Ro smiled. What is it? My old man friend's wife hated them and there's an strawberry tree by our house. Our house? He took us in..me and my sister Rae and we're back here because of our mom other than that he's the best man ever. I'm glad you guys found him. I'm sorry about Lucy and maddy. I'm sorry about your mom and sister. Thank you. Right on and since I'll never see you again I'm gonna write you a letter just come back in a couple hours I'll have it at this table, I promise.