Chapter 36

ITS MY BIRTHDAY!!! Morning Ro...happy birthday! Thanks sissy! What do you wanna do today??? I'm not sure. 1...2...3. See Raul! And and get everyone their own present!! And get some more strawberries and maybe get Matt and some of your friends overrrr! What about your friends. Your friends are my friends. Oh I'm sorry Ro. Unless you wanna invite my old bullies, I'm sure they're up for a party! Rae kissed his cheek. No but we can do everything else. Okay okay! What do you wanna wear today? My orange shirt with the brown sandals and my hattt. Sounds perfect. I know cause I'm perfect.

Happy birthday kid. Thanks Po!!! Ro grabbed Rae and Po's hands. I just wanna say thank you to both of you guys for protecting me and making sure I was secure anytime I was going through something I don't know I'm just really grateful I got you guys and I'm glad you're grateful for me and we became our own kind of family and Rae you're not at fault for me finding you when you bled out or for me being touched and if you feel like you are then you're a good person because not a lot of people feel guilt...people like Ramiro. Yeah he sucks. RAULLLL! Ro ran over and hugged him. Happy birthday Roel. Thank youuu! Can I join? You have your own house. Not as cozy as this one. I was just saying that Rae is a good person. She's amazing. She's great. All of you are! So thanks for dedicating a day to me! And other days whenever I'm sad I know that me now being six and really smart is kinda concerning knowing why but I promise I'll be fine and I'll also dedicate this day to mom! She was lovely. She was. And I miss her but it's okay! She would want us to be happy about my day, to enjoy it together...so let's do that. Po I'll always be so grateful to you and what you've provided cause initially you were suffering and still took us in. You're good kids..I had to cause we were all suffering. Not anymore though! Not as much. Ro regarded. Exactly. That's right.

Okay Ro close your eyes. Oh no. It's not bad..I got you. Okay sissy. Rae held ro's hand as he walked with her. How far? How many minutes. Three. Three okay. Ro was counting as Rae was still guiding him. Are we outside sissy? Yes. Okay okay. Steps. Steps okay. Rae guided ro down the steps and let go of his hand. Sissy?!? It got quiet. Sissy where are you. Nicole picked him up. You can open your eyes now. She whispered. Ro opened his eyes with his body scrunched up scaredy. SUPRISEEEE! Hi Nicole! Happy birthday ro ro row your boat. Thanks! Nicole put Ro down as he ran to say hi to everyone. He's so cute. He's amazing. Thanks for inviting me. We're friends of course. Rae I have to tell you something. Yeah? Hey rae can we talk? Sorry Nicole it's my brother. He's cute. DONT. Rae pointed at her. Sorry. Rae ran over to Raul and sat down with him. He's so happy. He will continue to be as long as he's here. I'm sorry for not being able to be the one you trusted for so long. I was selfish and guarded about it. Which you had every right to be. I guess. No no you were right and I was hurt too but I had to give you that time..I understand why you were upset. Rae laid her head on his shoulder. He's so old. He's only six. I know I didn't think I'd survive at six but Ro. He's surviving , stronger than all of us and thriving and he's got us. What about Ramiro and dad what if they come back? They're not gonna hurt either of you. I don't care about me I care about Ro. We all do and if I can't fight them off we have an ex-army member as your guardian. The way you used to fight dad off I'm convinced you weren't in the army too. Raul laughed. I'm just happy he's happy. I am too.

Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Roel. GUYS HURRY UPP! Everyone laughed. Ro that's now how it works. Okay sissy well it's always awkward and I want cake! Rae laughed and kissed his head. You heard him. Everyone let him blow out the candles and smiled. THANK YOU!!! Raul walked over and cut a piece for Ro. Yummm. Rae laughed and sat down beside him. I'm so proud of you. Why's that sissy? He said with a full mouth. Because you're alive. Thanks to you! But you're so emotionally strong. That's one I take credit for. Good. Ro smiled eating his cake. Best. Birthday. Ever. I'm glad. And best sister ever too! Awww. I love you Rae. I love you too. Can I steal her? You already have! Ro gave Matt a look and stood up giving Matt the plate. If she ends up crying by the end of the night I'll stab you in the eye with this fork but other than that cake's good! Ro ran off leaving the two. Well he's scary. He can be. I'll let him have it since it's his birthday. Rae laughed and grabbed the plate. He's right. About? The cake. Ahh. And the fork eye thing. Right. Rae put the plate down and looked at Matt. Are you disgusted? Huh? With me. Why would I be. I just stuffed my face. I don't care about that....everyone needs to eat and who doesn't like cake?! Rae smiled kissing him. You're sweet. I try. I'm sorry for being less than what you want. You're everything and more than what I could've ever wanted, I'm lucky to be even sitting by you. You think so? Always.

Happy birthday Ro. Thanks Matt! Be safe. I will. Bye Rae. Bye Matt. He kissed her cheek and looked at her. Rae closed the door and went to grab Ro's present. Sissy hurry! I'm tired. Okay okay. Rae ran in the living room and handed him the gift. What is it? I don't know maybe unwrap it. It's my birthday not Christmas. Your birthday is its own national holiday. Ro smiled sitting on her lap to open his gift. Ro ripped the paper off and gasped. CARSSSSS! I love them. There's more. Ro looked for the other stuff and smiled. I'm so thankful, thank you. Rae hugged Ro and smiled. You're welcome Ro! Raul dropped his gift at Ro. Rude. Open it. Ro ripped open his gift and deadpanned. It's a boat! I know. Wait what? Ro ro row your boat. OHHHH. Rae and Po said in unison. Not funny. Hey son I got you a few books and snacks and some outfits. Aw wow thanks!!! Po smiled nodding. Thank you guys I love all my gifts!!!!! We love you.

I had a great birthday Rae I really did. Good. You'll have a great birthday too. I hope. Even ten years can't separate us. Never. Hey sissy? Yes Ro. Do you want me to stop calling you sissy? I don't mind it. Oh. It's not bad, I love it but maybe not call me it after you're like 10. Ro laughed. Noted. Okay good. You should probably still be my sister even after I'm ten though. Noted. Ro ran over and hugged Rae. I love you!!!! Thanks for everything sissy. Always.