Chapter 48

Rae how old are you mama?? Six! You're such a smarty. Mom every six year old knows how old they're turning. Say another thing. Anot-. Grace hit him in arm. Okay okay jeez. You still say jeez you should just shut the fuck up. Rae laughed. You're adorable...you could talk up a storm. Thanks mama. Of course! Is she even gonna remember this? Yes! Kids start remembering when they're four. Whatever. You're just mad cause I didn't throw parties this big when it was your birthday. Yeah! Shut up Rae. Ramiro don't test me. Whatever. If it's whatever then go to your room and leave us be.

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR RAE! Happy birthday to youuuu. Guys I look and smell horrible. True but it's your birthday! Fair. Happy birthday sissy!!!!! You're more excited than I am. We're officially ten years apart! We've always been ten years apart. But now it's official! Ro it's always been official. Drama. Rae laughed and blew out her cake. Even I know it's too early to eat cake. We're gonna save it but we know how horrifying singing happy birthday can be so. Thanks everyone. You can have friends over later if you want and then we can go out for dinner at your favorite place. Wendy's. She said shaking her head in a yes motion. Your birthday kid. Let's give her some space. Alright come on kid. They all headed out as Rae sat up and sighed. Raul ran back in and jumped on her. Who needs space?? You don't! You don't need space. Rae was laughing. GET OFF ASSHAT!! Okay I'm done.

Is this a book? I don't know...maybe open it button. Rae opened the gift and deadpanned. I have like ten books mama. Now you have eleven. But I'm only six. I will take it back and read it myself. No mama please don't have anyone witness that tragedy. How does she know that word? I didn't know the word bloom at six. Cause I was purposely not teaching you. Raul rolled his eyes. But Rae...Rae's delightful and she's sweet and she's gonna make it without you guys so yes she knows the word tragedy and I do too and I'll use it right now. Go ahead. Your existence is a tragedy and so is that shirt. Grace smiled widely holding Rae. Wow mom nice use of the word! He said clapping. Can I use one? Sure. You're an asshole. No I raised two there's a difference. Where do you think we get it from. Your. Dad Rae muttered cutting grace off. Yep. Right.

Rae was looking at the dress she picked out and observing her body. It's pretty....I'm pretty. She said looking at her arms and face. It'll be a good birthday. Rae put her hair in two ponytails to honor her mom. Rae put on her two inch heels and walked out her room. Oh my sissy looks beautiful! Thank you Ro. So what do you want for breakfast? A cigarette and trauma induced coma. She's like me. I love you dad. Love you kiddo. I want a Hawaiian shirt. Oh this is great. Raul smiled. Calm down. I can't physically contain myself...I have to give you advice. Oh god, do you go to meetings for these shirts? Have a Facebook fan page. How'd you know. Classic. I'm joking. The look on my face says I'm joking but the look on yours. Rae shook her head no eating a raspberry.

She's so happy. She is and deserves to be. How can she be so happy with the life she's living. Because she didn't ask to be born or be fortunate to have an abusive dad. Were we? No Raul of course not. Raul hugged grace. I love you mom. I love you too. Momma momma! Yeah Rae? I made a friend. Let's meet them. Rae grabbed her mom's and Raul's hand and walked with them to her new friend. Say hi! This is William. Rae no one is the-. Grace hit him in the arm. Hey will. Mom you can't call him will yet he doesn't know you. Got it. Boundaries! Hey William what's up. He says happy birthday. Isn't it your birthday Rae? Yes but he gets confused. Ohhh. Yeah you gotta be gentle and nice and not a bitch? Nice one Rae. Thanks mom. She's the cutest. It's true, I am.

You're the cutest. It's true I am. Matt smiled and kissed her cheek. Happy birthday love. Thank you Matt. Matt handed her his gift. You're sweet. Always. Rae pulled the first thing out and smiled. Us at Ricky's Photo Booth awww mattt. Do you like it? Yes! Matt smiled. Rae took out her next gift. It's a sweater. Thank you. I have the same one so we can match. That's so cuteeeee! We're a cute couple. True. Rae leaned over and kissed him. Thanks for the gifts Matt. I love you Rae. I love you too! Ro walked in and smiled. Heyyy sissy. Whatcha plotting?! Nothinggg. Little man is definitely plotting. Just come into the dining room sissy. You sure it's not hell? Not completely. Well your odds are fucked. Of course they are I'm dating you. Matt deadpanned. It was funny. Rae and Matt followed Ro into the dining room. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Thank youuuu. Rae ran over and hugged all of her friends. Girlfriend. Girlfriend hiii! I'm hearing it's your birthday. It issss. Amara kissed Rae's cheek but bumped into raine. I'm so sorry. No need to apologize. Amara smiled. Hey I'm Nicole. Hi? Are you a bitch? Um are you? No drama. Please. Rae looked at both of them. No drama. No drama. Yes thank you. Soooo. Here's my boyfriend...he's pretty you guys can observe if you will, got him off of Amazon and enjoy. Where are you going? Bathroom. But. But nothing I have to pee. Right. Can we go with you? I'm a girls girl just as much as everyone other girl but no. Fair. Yeah no she's right.

I'm so happy with my gifts mama! I'm so happy that you're happy about your gifts!!! Mom? What Raul. Why are you so mean to Ramiro? I have every right to be. Oh. I have a question. Talk to me. Why is Ramiro such an ungrateful psychotic asshole?? Let's give it a minute. Grace said sarcastically. Why don't you get us out then? All you do is complain. And what the FUCK are you doing right now Raul? Huh? Is this complaining disguised as something else or am I losing my mind. I'm gonna get out you know...get Rae out of the house. Your hope will not ruin or mirror hers and I'll do anything to not allow that. Mom I want the best for all of us INCLUDING Ramiro. No you're acting like you do and now Rae is getting tired. Okay Ma. You boys act like it's so easy but you endure the abuse too!! You stay and believe whatever he says TOO! The only decent thinking one is Rae and she's six. I'm not gonna argue. But we are and it'll be a constant fight because you won't let up from being a dumbass. See you at home. Take Rae with you please. I will. Thank you.

This Hawaiian shirt is wayyy better though. I don't care enough Raul. I'm hurt but I can move on. Aren't we here for dresses? Poral's has better. Let's go there. Poral's is so expensive. Yeah it's like $250 for a pair of heels. The heels are really pretty though to be you know fair. That's true! They're having a sale. 60 % off. That's not shit man. I'll pay. I already have my dress. Amara commented. Same. Nicole said butting in. What color do you guys want? Me and Matt are doing blue. I was gonna go red. Oooooh. That's....basic. Nicole what color is yours? Green! That puke green you showed us? HA! Don't be mean. That applies to you not us. I wasn't THAT mean I could've been Matt mean you know. He's mean. Like really mean. He even hurt my feelings. Everything and everyone hurts your feelings Raul. Ouch Rae. SEE! The girls laughed. Let's go get some dresses! Let's do it.

Oh my god I love Sally's! We know. This is the bougiest restaurant ever. You're the bougiest restaurant ever! Good one Rae. Shut up. They all walked in. Hi I'm Sam how can I help you? Sam? Yep that's my name. It's Raul. Who? From the grocery store all those years ago. Was she there? She was wayyyy smaller but yes. Oh my god hiiii! Heyyy. It's been SO long. I know. Special occasion? My birthday. Happy birthday. Thankssss. Raul just looked at her. I'll um get you a table. Sam said picking up the menus but still keeping eye contact with Raul.

Are you gonna ask her out? Would it be too dickish if it's here? Yes dad. Fair. So how was your birthday sissy? I'd rate it a 9/10. Oooh. Niceeee. Yeah I never thought I'd be alive by this age so I'm glad to be. Makes you miss mom. I'll always miss her. I remember when you turned six. I don't. Me, you and her hung out all day. Hmm that's sweet. She loved you so much. She loved all of us infinitely. Rae you're an inspiration to all out there. I don't wanna be...I just want to be Rae. You are. Good. Rae is fun! And sweet. And protective. And smart. And helpful. Selfless. Loving. Kind. Fearless. Funny. Nice. Beautiful. Resilient.

Hey Rae! Heyyy give me one second. Rae ram in the house and grabbed the icecream. Happy birthday. Yeah thank you. Sorry we didn't get to hang out. It's okay. Rae said handing him a spoon. You know Raul remembers when u turned six but i don't. What does he remember? Us spending a day with mom. Oh. I hate myself for not remembering. Your memory isn't your fault. Then how come I remember what my dad and Ramiro did. Because everyone remembers trauma. I guess. Rae you're the good guy in this story and so is your mom. You're the good guy. Rae laid her head on his shoulder eating the ice-cream.