Chapter 24

You're pregnant again holy shit!?!? I know Marsha. My mom is in New York right now. I love your mom. I love her too. Ugh. Yeah my dad's birthday is this weekend and she needs time with his ashes. I'm sorry. That's okay. How's Raul? He's two! And very healthy and the cutest. Ugh I love him too. Grace laughed. How far along are you? Couple weeks now. Jesus. If I could stop it I would. YOU CAN! I'll never escape him..not until I'm dead. Grace had a for sure tone when she said dead..scared Marsha a little bit. How are you so sure? I'm pregnant again, it'll be a never ending cycle. Right. You don't get it. I'm trying to. You'll never get it and I don't mean that for that to be rude I meant that as an I'm a domestic abuse survivor with two kids already and more to come but that doesn't mean more punches won't come.. I'm tired but I'm human. Let's get out, come on. I'm tired. Okay I'll get something for you. Thank you. What you craving? A burger. Yummm I'll get four. You're the best. You love me. I do I do. I love you. I love you too.

Mommy I'm tired. Honey you were sleep for like nine hours. Still sleepy. Aunt Marsha is getting burgers. I love burgers! Yes. Grace kissed his cheek. Play with your toys and I'll get your bath ready. Grace walked in the bathroom and looked in the mirror with her hands on the sink. She started hitting the sink as hard as she can. Didn't even notice that she was crying, crying so hard she couldn't breathe. Mom? I-. Raul got her a bottle of water that was sitting in the room. Here. Thanks baby. Grace downed the water and turned his water off. Let's gets you clean. Raul touched her face while she took off his clothes. It'll be okay. Mhm. Okay mama.

MMMM SO GOOD!! Right?? Joe's always does it the same. They do. Grace smiled. Mommy cried. Oh. I did. We should go to the park. Yeah! Mom can we? Put your shoes on. Don't cry. I can't NOT cry. You can try. Marsha please. Got my shoes on momma. Okay baby. Grace got up and put some hair stuff in her hands to rub in Raul's hair. Mom that's too much. But your hair is dryyyy. He laughed. Thanks momma. You're welcome. Aunty Marsha!! Hmm? We both have curly hairrrr. That we do. That's so awesome! It is. Mommy's hair is just wavy..which is the less cooler curly. HA! Watch it Marsha. Oh I am and it's not getting curlier. Fuck you. Yeah I love you too.

Congratulations another baby boy! AHHH. That's so great. Okay can we stop acting like we didn't know it was gonna be a boy. Yes we can. Marsha regarded. They both laughed. He's beautiful. I know right. So name? The doctor said handing the baby to grace. Ramiro. Nice. That is really nice. Raul was asleep on the hospital couch. Poor guy missed it. He's two he would've forgotten. Marsha smiled and kissed graces cheek. I'm so proud of you. Thank you. Is he gonna come? Most likely. Do you want me to be here? Of course...you know I'm getting weaker somehow the abuse has gotten worse. Grace laughed. Grace that's no-. I know.

Hey mom. Hi honey. Have the baby? Mhm. That's greatttt. How's honoring dad in nyc? It's...something doesn't feel the same. Right. I miss him so much. Me too mom. I'm sorry I wasn't there for new handsome man. It's okay! Guess who else isn't here?! The name that shall not be named. Yes Rodrigo. And you still say it. Hmm. How's the baby? Shit what's the baby's name? I'm so sorry...I'm so exhausted it's Ramiro. That's your father's middle name! I didn't think of that. That's beautiful. It is. Mom when are you coming back? I'll be back soon. It's been months. It takes years to grieve...your grieving your abuse. Mom why would you say that? I'm sorry I-. It's fine, maybe Ramiro will be I don't know...one when you come back and you can grieve him growing up without you. Grace hung up. I got you some chips and a jello. Yum. Grace threw her phone and frustratedly rubbed her hands in her hair. Doc can you take him please. Yes of course. The doctor grabbed Ramiro and Marsha handed her the food. As soon as the doctor headed out Rodrigo barged in. Fucking ow you prick. Rodrigo grabbed the doctors coat. You'll be fine unless you wanna start something and grace can account for that. Grace scoffed. I'm sorry. She whispered as the doctor nudged Rodrigo hand off. It's fine. The doctor walked out. So where's the little guy? Are you drunk? A little...lemme see the baby. No. Here you go. Rodrigo walked over and shook Raul up. Leave him alone. Dad? Is this real. Grace scoffed eating her jello. Raul hugged his dad . Okay enough. Rodrigo hit Raul in the head twice. STOP! He's fine, it was a JOKE! He said laughing dryly. Rodrigo I swear. What are you gonna do? You're weak. Marsha stepped in front of him. Is THIS real? What are YOU gonna do? Dad please.. mom is tired don't hurt her again. Raul said rubbing his head

Raul is four and Ramiro is two now and I have a feeling I'll be pregnant right after for some reason. Then don't get pregnant and break up with him...you're not even married. It's not that easy, he'll find me. Then don't let him. They're too young and where am I gonna go? My mom isn't even here. So what? She can't always protect you. Wow. It's the truth..you're making the choice to stay with him. Okay but I'm not making the choice to get hit. AREN'T YOU THOUGH?? Graces voice went out as the room fell silent. Raul stepped in front of grace. Leave Marsha. Raul this isn't your business. It's my mom and you've made her upset so..leave. Grace looked at Raul and then Marsha. Thanks for the gift Marsha but you should listen. To a four year old? To ME. Right...this is stupid. You're stupid!!!! Raul stop. I'm gonna go. It's what everyone wants. Marsha walked out. Ramiro was screaming. Ugh. Grace went to grab him. Hi love, You're two today that's funn. Grace said trying to keep a positive mindset.

Oh look a Barbie doll! He's a boy. So? He shouldn't play with dolls. God You sound like my dad..oh wait he wasn't a misogynist. Made up word. You're a made up dad. Grace said opening up the doll. Rodrigo grabbed the doll and hit Ramiro with it. Grace got up and walked over to the dresser and breathed out. Did you just hit my baby? Raul watch Ramiro. Rodrigo got up. THERE SHE ISSS! Rodrigo stood up and turned grace around. Grace pushed him to the ground. He smacked her first. Grace laughed. She sat on top of him and start hitting his chest and then she started to slap him and then she started to cry but she still hit him, she started punching him even if he was stronger she didn't care. It was like she lost it. She just kept punching him. Her hands were starting to bleed yet she couldn't stop. Mom. Raul called out . Mommy needs a second with dad. Okay he whispered covering Ramiro's eyes and ears. She couldn't stop hitting him. Rodrigo's face was almost unrecognizable. Raul ran over and tried to pull her off. Mom I can- you're heavy. He was losing his breath. Everyone was. Grace pulled herself off and looked around. Raul passed out. Ramiro started to cry again. Fuck. She whispered to herself.