Chapter 12

Today was volleyball tryouts and Rae wasn't in the mood she was also on her cycle. Ro was already up and eating breakfast. Rae scruffed his hair and sat down. Are you excited for volleyball?! I don't know. Sissy. Rae I'm not feeling good and I already signed up so I don't know. I think you'll do great! Thanks ro, are you ready? I ammm. Let's go. Wait sissy. Mhm? I have to tell you something. What is it? I- I've. Ro what is it? I think I have a rash on my private. Rae stopped and looked at him. When did you realize? A couple days ago. Rae couldn't even swallow she was so disgusted. Sissy what's wrong? Ro I'm sorry. You didn't know. But it wouldn't have happened if I didn't leave. It's okay but today is Friday so when we go to the hospital maybe we can get it looked at. Yes of course. Okay! Does it hurt? No just itchy. Okay what about when you pee? Nope. Rae didn't say anything she just started to cry. God ro we can't escape him. No you're wrong sissy we already have. Ro sat in her lap and wiped her face. You made sure I wasn't the next to get hurt, that makes up for the ONE thing he did. Rae looked down still feeling ashamed. I feel horrible, like a horrible sister. You're a human but you're not dad you're my sissy. Rae looked at ro and kissed his forehead. Ro shifted a little to hug her. It's okay, it's okay. Ro rubbed her back. Rae cried more. It's okay.

Matt was looking at Rae. Matt was the definition of a pretty guy. His eyes were greyish blue and he had this 90s haircut that fit his head shape, he was just perfect and Rae recognized that but she wasn't looking for a relationship. Matt nudged Rae as she jumped up and looked at him. What? She got a couple stares from the class. What? She said to the people staring. I'm sorry I didn-. It's okay I'm just in pain today. Period? How'd you know. Have an older sister. Ahh. You okay? I'm just I don't know. I get it. What's your sisters name? Ryan. Ooh that's hot. Please don't crush on my sister she already has this douchey boyfriend David. Hate those. I hate him. Yikes. Ugh yeah. Ryan and David? Yeah a lot assume they're this gay couple. Rae laughed and snorted. Yeahh that's what I'm gonna call them every-time I hear about them especially with new kids. Hey at least my sister's reputation will be ruined not mine. Rae looked at Matt as he smiled at her. Rae acknowledged that and smiled back. He made her mood better, maybe he could do that more if she let him.

Raeeee this is raine. Rae didn't look up from her food but said hi. Are you trying out today? I ammmm. Yayyyy, raine is too! Fun. What's wrong? I'm on my period and feel like a horrible person. We all do when we're on our periods. No like genuinely. Oh. Yeah I'm not gonna get into it but it's bad I'm excited for volleyball though. Rae stood up and walked away trying not to cry. Raine followed after her. Hey Rae! Rae stopped and looked back. I don't wanna be too much especially with our first meeting. I met my brother by him hitting me when I was old enough to remember it. Ah same but with my dad! I just didn't want that to be the thing I was known for because we just met. You're an impeccable human for not trauma dumping but trying to express something still so that it's not upsetting you. Rae smiled. That's really sweet thank you. You're welcome. Raine sat down as Rae sat too. So tell me about you then. Open book. Siblings? Three brothers and maybe an long lost sister out there. Me? Rae laughed as raine did too. But um yeah my brothers moved out and now it's just me and Ro my little brother we got away from my home with our neighbor whose like our dad...his wife died so we're this group of sad people you know? Ugh I get it, you can never really escape an abusive parent but I'm glad you're trying to be resilient and kind to yourself, I'm glad you told me the messy stuff. You have a way with words, I'm so appreciative of them thank you. You're welcome. Are you trying out today? Only for Nicole. Same. They laughed and stood up.

Rae was in the bathroom trying to get herself together even though she was cramping and had no sport experience. Nicole was outside the bathroom as Rae walked out. Ready? Mhm. Nicole grabbed Rae's hand and they walked into the gym. Their were about six other girls in the gym already stretching and talking. Rae didn't have a lot of friends and she definitely didn't miss kora she just wasn't social but she wanted to give this a try not only for Nicole but for herself. Nicole who's this? Hi I'm Rae. I love that name. Thank you. Rae smiled and sat down. Probably not the best time to try out. Why's that? Cramping. Ugh I feel them with you. Rae chuckled. Well I can practice with you since you're new I've been playing single sixth grade. Oh wow that's so impressive. I manage. Here Rae. Nicole handed Rae an ponytail holder. Oh nice thank you so much. Of course.

Tryouts were over and Rae and ro were getting a ride from Nicole to the hospital. Rae didn't spend much of the money po mentioned because she knows what's it like to live in a house with limited food. Thank you Nicole and miss Sims. You're welcome guys. I'll see you Monday. See you! Rae grabbed sleeping ro and got out the car. She never been to this hospital or this part of town at all but she needed to see po. Rae walked in and put ro down. Hey sissy where are we? He said rubbing his eyes. Hospital. Oh okay. She walked up to the desk talking to the lady. Hi my name is Rae Wilson I'm here for Po Xeng. Anyone else with you? Yes my little brother right here Ro Wilson. How old is he? He's five. Okay gimme one sec honey. Alright. Ro looked at Rae. Sissy can I get two dollars for the vending machine? Here's four. He smiled running to one. Okay honey he's in room 303 and visiting hours are over in an hour but you can come back at 12. Thank you. Rae walked away and got ro. I got you a snickers! Thanks ro. Rae what is this? An elevator. I've only seen these in movies. I knowww. She grabbed his hand as it opened. I'm scared. It's like going to heaven or hell you should be. Ro shivered. Kidding...kinda. She laughed.

Heyyyy. Oh hey guys. Po smiled surprisingly. Sorry I'm a little tired. That's okay, we only have an hour here so you can sleep. Alright. How was school? Honestly not too bad. Ro was silent he was never silent he basically jumped at a chance to talk even if Rae was talking so she knew something was up. She would deal with that later. How do you feel? Like I've been in the hospital for four days and would like my own bed. Fair. Po smiled. Did you tryout? I did. How do you feel? Okay. Alright. Rae sat down and started to do her homework while Rae watched the small hospital Tv with Po. Hey Ro make sure to do your homework when you get the chance. I already finished it. H- Ho- we didn't even go home yet. Well I'm the smartest kid so. That doesn't matter you still need to challenge your brain or you'll look like a show off. I don't care. Ro don't start. Then don't talk to me. Rae put her homework down and turned the tv off, Po was asleep and hated noise when he was sleeping anyway so he wouldn't mind.

Her turning the tv off made ro upset. He tried to grab the remote but she held it up and put it in her bookbag. STOP. NO! You're a terrible sister. Ro calm down. He gave her an emotionless stare. What if I don't? Ro right now. He kicked her in the stomach and ran off. Rae grabbed her stomach and tried not to get sick because she got very nauseous during her period and her cramps just happened to get worse so this was just great. Rae ran out the room after ro as she got alarmed. Po started to wake up and cough.