Chapter 63

Okay I've dropped them off at therapy. Okay good. She's gonna be here so early. Come on now, you know my mom and how ahead of time she has to be. That's true. He nodded. Raul was rubbing his hands together pacing. What's wrong babe? I'm nervous. Don't be...she's harmless and if she doesn't approve we're still getting married. Oh not about that. Then why? I need her help with what tie I'll wear. Bye. Raul laughed as Sam deadpanned. I just have so many potentially great ones. Right.

Hey Rae..Ro it's not to see you guys again. Yeah. So how's everything? Especially with grieving your mom? Uhm so last week we visited her grave for the first time. Ah that's nice..how'd you feel about that? Did you guys sit and talk to her or say nothing and just take it in? Well our brother knew she was buried and didn't tell us. Oh..how long do you think he knew? And why would he keep a secret so big? I think to give us the time you know? I don't think it was selfish. I do. Ro said mumbling. Why's that Ro? He didn't tell us for months! And even if it was too much..we already had been to her funeral with people who gossiped about her, at least with the grave it was time and space away from those toxic people so him hiding that from us doesn't make him any less toxic. But it makes him aware of our feelings. I guess. Imagine if it was Ramiro or dad..we wouldn't know for YEARS Ro plus we handled it greatly and I think he just thought we all needed time because in the end it was all the same result. Which was? That we got to talk to her about how we feel and whenever we need to go then we will and do it again. You're right sissy. You were right too and I see that. This is good..you guys are hearing each other. Yeah I agree. Me too! I think you guys are in the acceptance part of grief but stuff will still come in waves so I want you to write some things you miss about your mom and love about her and it'll be healthy to do it together. Oh I never thought about that..that's sounds really good. And come back to me in a week or two. Okay.

Sam's mom knocked on their door confused. Raul opened it scratching his head. Uh Raul? What are you doing at Sam's house. Is she here? Sam said whispering from the hallway. He looked over and nodded. Ahhh hey mom. Sam? Why is Raul here. Raul opened the door for Sam's mom and smiled. Mom you might wanna sit down. I'll stand, I've been driving for hours. Right sorry. So? Why is Raul here. Um hey Maureen so my mom died almost six months ago and I've moved down here because Rae and Ro my younger siblings had moved here with my neighbor and we found them because she was sick so I had to move here for them and then I found Sam for my sisters birthday dinner and we started to talk and I proposed..we're getting married next year. Mom say something..please. Grace was my best friend and I wasn't told about this? Mom I just found out a month ago and I wanted to tell you in person..I mean what would've you done if me and Raul didn't get together? I would've cried and grieved because I didn't get to say goodbye...she changed my life you know? And now you're getting married and I can't be there cheering you on with her there. She didn't have hope for herself but I know she would've loved to see us. Mom can you please attend the wedding and hold a piece of her with you? Miss Palmer her grave isn't too far away if you wanna go later on. I- I can't do this..she's gone and I didn't know and now my heart is broken. I believed you were soulmates in a friend way. My life is gone and hidden without grace. Mom our wedding will bring you back, if you just give yourself time and believe that she loved you as much as we do. And I don't want you guys to believe that I'm not ecstatic about you finding each other again I just will miss my best friend. I miss her a lot too. Me too mom. I'm happy you guys told me about that and hopefully I can get to know your little siblings better but Sam. Yes mom. Sam stood up. I'm so happy this is happening for you and I'm so sad grace won't be there but I'm glad I'll be and I'll help with whatever you guys need. Maureen hugs Sam and gestured for Raul to stand up and join. Raul stood up and joined the hug. I'm so so proud of you guys and so happy to be there and I'll help with everything that you need. Thanks mom. Thanks Maureen. Of course.

So you're my cousins girlfriends brothers mom in law? Yes. I'm just roger. She shook his hand. Nice to meet you. Likewise. Hmm. You're kinda hot Maureen. Let go of my hand roger. Roger let go as Maureen got up and walked away. Keep me away from him. Roger? He's harmless. He just called me hot. Okay mom. Sam rubbed Maureen's back with a concerned face. So what cake you want? Strawberry and Cream? Oooh that was. Grace's favorite. That's sweet. Yeah. So who's doing the something new, something old and something borrowed? Well you can do something old. Can I bring myself? Mom that's not fun-. It's really funny. You're never too old Maureen. Roger said smiling. Oh god. Age is just a number you know. And we have an huge age difference. Doesn't matter...we can learn from each other. ENOUGH roger! Sam why are you here? Watch it. Yeah..sorry. You little bitch. SAM! Shit I'm sorry. You're SUPPOSED to say you ugly little bitch. Ahhh thanks mom. You're still hot Maureen even though you hurt my heart with your insult. Roger grabbed his heart and looked at her. I'm starting to get creeped out.

Did i tell you about the dance? Not entirely. Matt's old best friends pulled my dress off as everyone watched and I had to change and Matt warned and warned but I just chose to ignore him because it was the first fun thing I've done in a long time and I danced with you and it made things easier but god I was so humiliated and I swear that was the first and only time I would be ever again. Good. Rae smiled and kissed Leo. I love you. I love you too. I think we should go thrifting for our wedding outfits. Are we coordinating or is that too coupley? Well it's a wedding so it's all about couples or one MAIN couple you know so least of our worries. Fair enough. Yes. So Rae? Hmm. I'm mad at you? Is it because I ate the cupcake you wanted. Yes but no. Oh? I've been here for weeks basically moved in and you haven't asked for me to marry you. I'm so sorry. It's alright I get it. You're just so pretty. So are you. Should we just make-out right now? Duhhhh. Careful. Rae said touching his chest dramatically. What? I have cupcake breath. You used to kiss Matt it's fine. LEO!!! She smacked his chest. Ow what?? ITS TRUE.

Did I miss something about Christmas being earlier...WHY are we wearing matching pajamas? Why not. Sam said smiling really hard. I hate this I hate this. At least it's not the basic plaid. ITS WHITE AND BLACK PLAID!! Which is even worse. I'm comfortable. Maureen said shrugging. I'm happy mom. Me too. What movie are we watching? Titanic! No no Shawshank Redemption! Ugh NO. Bridesmaids! Hell no. Um we never even finished that war movie. We're not watching a damn war movie. Well we mind as well watch a Christmas movie given our tacky outfits. Fine.