Chapter 22

Ro was laying down in bed with Rae. Rae slowly woke up and looked at her arms. Oh god she whispered. Ro you're on my arms. SISSY!! Ro moved. Sorry. He said gritting his teeth. It's okay. I'm so happy you're up! Me too she groaned. Still hurting? Like always. I'm sorry. Ro this is not something you're gonna apologize for, I was selfish enough to do this and I'm sorry I'm a horrible sister. Anything but. How's mom? Better...she and I were seeing you when you were asleep everyday she's gonna be really excited when she finds out. I don't want you to tell her. What why? Just don't. That's mean. Ro don't. What you did wasn't selfish okay I get that but this..this right here THIS is selfish. Rae sighed as he walked out.

Hi honeybun. Hey mom. What's wrong my love? Rae woke up. Oh my god!!! She didn't want me to tell you. Why not? Why did you tell me then. Because we had a fight. Isn't right Ro. I'm sorry. That's okay. I'm gonna go see her I um feel weaker and that's bad so I'm gonna go and I need you all in there with me. Okay momma. Grace kissed his cheek and smiled.

Rae was sitting in bed. Grace creeped in with ro behind. Mom? Rae said with her voice a little cracked like she was already crying. Hi love. Grace walked up to the bed and grabbed Rae's face. Hi ro go get your brothers please. Okay! Sorry sissy. It's okay. Ro ran out. You're my strongest and that might be a little fucked to say but it's true...I wasn't as strong as you not as a kid and definitely not with your dad but I'm so glad that you're still here and living and you get to make a life for yourself where you can move on from us and..him and I'm so sorry for my part in the abuse with letting it happen or tuning it out and when I did try to move or run him always finding me god he was so terrifying I could never outrun him I used to hide under the covers when it was real late because I was scared of what would happen and sadly enough the abuse got worse when I got pregnant I don't even know how Ro is alive right now, I've had five miscarriages and I still don't feel strong enough for you..any of you. Mom. I'm not finished. A tear dropped down Rae's face as she continued to look at her mom. You are the most selfless...precious and warming person I've ever raised and all of your brothers ESPECIALLY your older can learn from you but I don't want them to be that smart. Rae laughed. You're gonna get out of here and you're gonna go back with Po and do volleyball and raise ro the way you already are and I'm gonna be even more prouder because I did something right. Mom I don't , I can't. Rae yes you can. Rae shook her head no turning it away from her mom. You are strong! And willing and you don't need me. Everyone needs their mom. You won't anymore, you'll see. Mom how could you say that. They both looked over at Raul. Honey. We need you, of course we do. If you need me so bad why didn't you come in my room and talk to me..we always talked. Raul walked over and kissed her head. I'm sorry. That's okay. She hugged him and kissed his cheek. You're such a sweet boy and I'm so deserving of you, so thank you for always standing up for me when you were four and always making sure I ate even late at night and the house was almost on fire because you were like eight. He laughed and sat next to Rae. And my sweet sunshine Ro. Yes? I'm so so glad I had you even though i had it the worst with you and I want you to know that it isn't your fault, okay? I wanted to have you and raise you even though I was kinda pissed I got another boy. They laughed. You're so smart and resilient and funny and I'm sorry that I couldn't move..physically or mentally when you and Rae got older I just became so numb to it and then it got so bad to were I couldn't talk or protect you anymore..I'm so sorry my loves. She looked at all of them. Ramiro.... I have no words for you..hope will get you and not in a good way so get out. What? He chuckled menacingly. You heard me. Fuck all of you. What a valid argument you prick.

And Rae! You shit so much, I don't know a baby produced that much shit. Everyone laughed. Here keep this. What why? Rae please. Rae grabbed the bracelet and looked at it. Give it to your dad. Mom. Maybe it'll make him feel...something at least. He shouldn't have it, he doesn't deserve it. And you guys didn't deserve to be hit but hope.....I still have a little bit of that so please do it for me Rae. Okay mom. Ugh I feel woozy. Mom are you okay? No but it's alright. She smiled tiredly. Grace got in the bed with all of the kids and looked at them. Everything is gonna be okay...you stronger than him he's just a bitch for not dying first. They laughed. And my birthday is coming up so celebrate that and my funeral too! Not a funeral...a celebration. Mom. Okay? Okay. They all said in sync. Thank you. Mom how old are you gonna be? I'm gonna be dead but 49. Not bad. Pretty bad. Whattt. Damn I'm an old bitch. They laughed as she laughed too. And I want you Al-. You want us to what mom? Rae looked over with her smile dropped. She's not moving. Everything got off the bed and looked at Rae. Get a nurse or something!!! Yeah. Rae tried to hold her mom up but her body was limp and fell back down. Rae wasn't crying but she was shaking and breathing heavy. Fuck.