Chapter 19

Rae was in the bathroom looking at her hair. It grew back so fast but this time it was actually long enough to put in two ponytails which was never done before so she was really happy. She couldn't wait to tell her mom. Rae gave herself one more look in the mirror.

Mom mom! Yes? Can you put my hair in two ponytails? It's long enough??! YES. OH MY GOD DUHH. Rae ran over and handed her mom the ponytail holders. What's going on? Hey rooo. Hi sissy! Ohh I know your hair is finally long enough for pigtails. Yes it is. Grace said finishing both of them. You're so beautiful. Thanks mom. And you're so handsome Roer. He smiled. Thanks mom. Can you guys get me a pack of granola bars, ask for nurse Sydney. Sure mom. Thanks. Ro ran over and grabbed Rae's hand. I think mom is better. Yeah she seems like it but ro. Yeah? I need you to be prepared because she's most likely gonna die and I don't need you to be attached to the idea that she'll be back and I know that's hurtful but it's better that you get ready for that. I know sissy, I'll be okay, you're not the only one that's gotten their hopes up. Rae gave him a look. And you're not a bad sister you just have this exterior that a lot of people see first but you're compassionate and caring and I'm glad you got us out of there and are strong enough to be around Raul and Ramiro after what happened. Rae smiled. That's so sweet Ro, thank you so much. I love you sissy! I love you too. And you you're very smart and resilient. Thanks sissy. Rae stopped a nurse asking for Sydney. Oh yeah she's on the third floor. Thank you.

Here you are. Thanks. Are you her kids? Yes I'm Rae and this is Ro. You guys are adorable. Thanks? Sydney smiled at them one more time as they headed back up. Have you seen Ramiro? Back home and dad is back. Oh. Mhm. I'll protect you. No you won't Ro. We're not going back. Okay good. Rae rubbed his head and smiled. Give these to mom and I'm gonna call Matt real quick. Oooh your boyfriend. Maybe but not yet. Fair enough. Ro ran into the room as Rae dialed Matt's number. Is this the famous Rae Wilson? It is. How are you love? I'm alright, how about you? I'm...managing. Yeah I get that. Still wearing your necklace?! Why wouldn't I be. Because it's mediocre. Don't shame the necklace or Leo okay? I really like it. Sorry. If you hate it so much you should give me a gift. Oh yeah? I'll be expecting one when I get back. You'll get one then. Thank you M. Always R. Rae smiled. So how's your dad? Worse...don't wanna talk about it. Ahh I'm really sorry Matt. It's life. Hey I just heard that my abusive dad is back so I'm not doing the best either. At least we're funny and self aware. True true. Matt did his smooth but short laugh, it always made Rae happy. Will you be mad if I go? I'll miss you like a lot...like a lot. Can't get enough of me and miss me but I had to make the call. Hey dying dad and I like a little chase. Well you don't know me because I live off of volleyball and insults not chasing a man. It's different with me and you'll see ESPECIALLY with the gift I give you. I don't really want you to give me a gi-. Nah already established. Bye Matt. Bye Rae. Rae hung up and smiled. Rae walked into her moms room. Who was that?? Her boyfriend! Well not yet Ro regarded. Well I hope he is soon.. the way you talked. I don't know mom I don't want a relationship right now. There's another guy. RO! What??? What's his name my love? Leoneil. I knew a leoneil. That's not true. It is! Oh wow mom you didn't have friends did you? YES I DID!! How dare you?? Rae laughed. How are your brothers? The same. Stubborn and narcissistic, like your dad? Pretty much. I raised them to be better..decent. Raul is. Good.

Grace and Ro were asleep while Rae went to roam around the hospital. She was on the second floor walking in the hall looking at all the sick patients coughing and becoming lifeless and even though her mom seems amazing she knew sooner or later her mom would be dead she wasn't even an overthinker and knew that. She just had to be prepared for it, she remembered when she was little her mom and her trying to put her almost long enough hair to put in two ponytails..that was fun Rae thought. Or when they would walk on the sidewalk and grace would tell her to not trust men ever unless it was her brothers and even so to not trust them to always trust herself and instincts..that was not so fun. Rae sat down and saw feet at hers. What do you want Ramiro? For you to be scared forever, don't you get it? I don't get what I ever did but okay. He smiled and crouched down grabbing one of her boobs. No one will ever want you like I and dad do. You've made that uncomfortably clear. He smiled. Good. He kissed her and then walked away. Rae cried but didn't even notice she was so used to this that crying was pathetic at this point. She got up and headed to the bathroom. She decided she was gonna hurt herself and she had valid reason to. So she punched the bathroom mirror and grabbed a big enough piece to drag across her arm and chest and wherever else her dad and Ramiro touched her...this is what she wanted. She wanted to drown in her own blood.