Chapter38

*Ava*
Lunch time came and Amanda and I joined Brandon at our normal lunch table. People had bullied us all day. Riley even sat with us. "How can you even sit here." I said. Riley said, "Because it's better than getting my head flushed down a toilet." "Why don't you go sit with Nathan." Brandon said. Riley said, "Because, Nathan doesn't look like Nathan, but doesn't act like Nickolas." Amanda looked at him funny as I scanned the cafeteria for Nathan. Finding him at a table by himself, until a bunch of kids walked over to him and sat down with him. "Uh guys. Nathan's over there with the pot brains." I said. Brandon turned around and then said, "The druggies? Why would he hang with them, he doesn't smoke." We looked at Riley who shrugged in response. We kept glancing over at Nathan, I guess when his friends are in trouble, even if three of them are mad at him, he won't come and help. "We are getting bullied and he doesn't give a shit." I said. Amanda said, "Ava calm down." "He knows I'm mad at him and probably believes you two are as well." Brandon said. Riley said, "And he is probably mad at me." "How could you even let him get that drunk?" I spat. Riley said, "I wasn't thinking straight and I was sober the whole time." I saw Brandon roll his eyes at Riley's comment, but didn't fire back. Smart boy.

*Nathan*
It was after school and Clare came up to me and asked, "Are you coming with me to work?" "Nah I'm gonna walk." I stated. Clare just nodded and hopped in her car with Sarah and the twins. I made sure that all my siblings left in their cars before putting a cigarette in my mouth and lighting it. I started walking to work just thinking to myself. Smoking does relieve stress, I like it. I heard someone call after me, but I didn't know who so I just stopped. "You're Nathan Popper right?" the boy asked. I nodded and he said, "Luke Johnson. Is your sister Emily?" I nodded and he said, "Would you be okay if I went out with her." I just shrugged before saying, "Yeah, but you might want to ask Eric." "Hey I didn't know a gay like you smoked." He said. I shrugged ignoring his comment and walked on. I had finished my cigarette before I got to the restaurant and tossed the butt into the ground. I also put some gum in my mouth to get rid of some of the smoke smell. I know I probably smell like it, but I can just say I walked by a group of kids who were smoking. No biggie. I walked in the back entrance and Momma asked, "Nate why do you smell like smoke?" "I walked by a group of kids who were smoking." I lied. She just nodded and handed me my apron. I put it on and followed Jessamine around. I smiled and helped our customers like normal. Several of them like my new look and other's wished I'd dress like me again. Some asked if I would sing and I said, "Sorry, I just haven't felt up for singing in a while and I'm just not ready yet." They nodded in understand meant.