121 - 130

In front of the opened door, Ning Zu’an redirected his gaze from Madam Ling to glare at Marquis of Ping’an. Blue veins were protruding on his forehead.

The Marquis of Ping’an turned pale upon seeing his murderous rage. He was so frightened that his legs were shaking and his soul was close to flying out of him. He nearly joined Madam Ling in collapsing to the floor. Forcing a fawning smile on his face, he said, “Lord… Lord Protector… I swear it’s all a misunderstanding. I had too much to drink. I don’t know how… I end up running here and… There’s nothing between me… and Madam!”

He had always been a useless fool. This time, he suffered such a bad fright that he couldn’t even form full sentences!

A miserable silence shrouded the interior and exterior of the building.

Ning Zu’an’s eyes were bloodshot. He was exuding such an icy air that there was nearly no warmth at all. “You… dare do something like this?”

“No… You misunderstood us. There’s nothing between us, I swear!” Thinking that Ning Zu’an didn’t believe him, the Marquis of Ping’an was so panicked that his hands went flailing. The fleshy fat in his arms shook with his every movement.

He was the only one at the scene who had mistaken what Ning Zu’an meant.

Frowning, Ning Xueyan quietly stood in Madam Dowager’s shadow. No one noticed the cold glint reflected in her dark pupils. It seemed that the jade pendant was of great significance, so much so that it became Ning Zu’an and Madam Dowager’s priority in this incident.

But all the better for her.

To be frank, the “affair” between Madam Ling and the Marquis of Ping’an couldn’t stand up to scrutiny. Madam Ling couldn’t have fallen for the old and hideous Marquis, who was no match for the middle-aged but manly Ning Zu’an. Anyone with a working pair of eyes wouldn’t betray Ning Zu’an for the Marquis of Ping’an.

Moreover, the Marquis of Ping’an made it clear that Madam Ling had chosen him to be Ning Xueyan’s husband. Coupled with what Ning Yuling said earlier, it couldn’t be more obvious that Madam Ling was sabotaging Ning Xueyan. Since the Marquis of Ping’an was clearly no favorable match, why would she get herself involved with him?

Thus, there must be a conspiracy behind all these.

Even though no one knew why Marquis of Ping’an was at the Buddha Hall or why Madam Ling was sleeping in his embrace, it was evident that they had fallen for someone’s trick. Madam Ling was sure it was Ning Xueyan, but Madam Dowager and Ning Zu’an were entertaining other thoughts.

.....

Regardless, it was an indisputable fact that Madam Ling privately handed the jade pendant to the Marquis of Ping’an. It was likely that the two of them had agreed to meet at the side room of the Buddha Hall to discuss the pendant, only to fall into someone’s trap. Following this line of thought, one would wonder if other people have found out about this pendant as well.

How could Ning Zu’an not be angry after considering this?

Madam Ling’s face had turned a frightening shade of white. She raised her head to see her husband, who had typically been kind to her, glaring daggers at her. Immediately, she crawled over and kneeled in front of him. She tugged at his sleeve and raised her face, revealing a pair of eyes welled up with tears. She began crying tragically. “Marquis, I married you in my teen years and have devoted myself to you since. It was an accident that the jade pendant was sent away with other objects. I didn’t expect… something like this would happen. Surely, someone is trying to sabotage me and pin the blame on me. Marquis, you… you must uphold justice for me!”