511 - 520

“Grandmother, the Prince treats me very well,” Ning Xueyan said, her face lit up with embarrassment. She toyed with her handkerchief with a flushed face, looking too embarrassed to speak. Her words weren’t explicit, but the obvious joy on her face indicated that Prince Yi had indeed visited her courtyard.

Madam Dowager felt the rock in her heart fall heavily to the ground, having been feeling uneasy ever since Ning Xueyan fainted on her wedding day. She was afraid that Ning Xueyan would be in trouble as soon as she entered Prince Yi’s Manor. Prince Yi wasn’t a generous man and any careless mistake could easily implicate the Lord Protector’s Manor.

She could still remember Prince Yi personally visiting their manor and warning them against any schemes. He had even nearly withdrawn his marriage proposal. The fact that he could make such a provocation made her feel deeply uneasy.

“Didn’t the Prince ask you why you fainted?” Madam Dowager repeated her question in another manner.

She had always been concerned about Ning Xueyan’s poor health, and was worried that Prince Yi would take offense to this. Although it wasn’t terribly likely, the possibility of angering Prince Yi still made her uneasy.

“He did, but I told him I was just too tired. Don’t worry, Grandmother. I’m in good health. The imperial physician in the manor examined my pulse and said I’m fine. All I have to do is take care of my health.” Ning Xueyan stopped beating around the bush and gave Madam Dowager the answer that she wanted. Although her cheeks were still pink, her expression was certain.

“The imperial physician in the manor examined your pulse?” Madam Dowager was stunned.

“Yes, and it was the Prince who sent him to examine my pulse and health. He said it was because I was nearly assassinated in the Lord Protector’s Manor. He was worried that the incident left any issues with my body,” Ning Xueyan said, chuckling softly. When she looked down, her eyelids appeared like two fluttering butterflies but conveniently concealed the iciness of her pupils.

Madam Dowager’s concern about her health was truly baffling.

“That’s great. I’m glad you’re fine.” Madam Dowager became relieved after hearing that Ning Xueyan wouldn’t have any problem conceiving.

“Grandmother, I saw Fourth and Third Sisters earlier. What’s wrong with them? Why is Third Sister smiling so happily, yet Fourth Sister is looking so downtrodden? Did something happen to her?” Not wanting to continue talking about herself, Ning Xueyan decisively changed the topic and redirected the conversation to Ning Lingyun and Ning Qingshan.

“It’s not a big deal. Lingyun just has something on her mind,” Madam Dowager said hesitantly with a sigh. She couldn’t bring herself to say her prepared speech. She thought Ning Xueyan would be neglected in Prince Yi’s Manor and wouldn’t be bearing the Prince any heirs either. Her future was dark, and she might as well have not married Prince Yi at all. So, she had other plans.

But now, she found out that Prince Yi treated Ning Xueyan well, and even visited her courtyard within three days of marrying the Princess. Moreover, Ning Xueyan’s health was fine and giving birth to an heir didn’t seem to be a problem if she could receive the Prince’s favor. Saying what she wanted to say was like slapping her own face.

But, she couldn’t just decide against sending the person over, not when she had already prepared the candidate. She had also discussed with Ning Qingshan and thought that this was the best way. Suddenly, she couldn’t make up her mind.

Ning Xueyan sneered secretly when she saw that Madam Dowager wasn’t going to bring up the matter immediately. She smiled and asked, “Grandmother, did you know that something happened in Prince Yi’s Manor on our wedding day?”