201 - 210

It only took Mother Han less than two hours to return. As Ning Xueyan had expected, she brought back the gifts Ning Qingshan had given to her. Two maids with the gifts in their hands and several other servants followed Mammy Luo to Bright Frost Garden with Mother Han. Mammy Luo walked to the bed and asked Ning Xueyan about her health.

Ning Xueyan had rested for a while after Mother Han left, so she recovered some of her energy. With the help of her maid, she sat up. She asked about Ning Qingshan and specifically about how she had been injured. Mammy Luo only said that Ning Qingshan had been in panic and got her leg injured after seeing the assassins, but the wound was not that serious, and she would recover after a few days.

Mammy Luo brought greetings from Ning Qingshan and told Ning Xueyan that Ning Qingshan would come to visit her after her injury was healed. She then asked the maids to present the gifts to Ning Xueyan and hinted that these gifts were from Fourth Prince, which were even more valuable than those from Third Prince.

Ning Xueyan smiled and chatted with her for a while before seeing her off.

“Lanning, bring these gifts to Third Prince, telling him that I have nothing to give him in return, so I will give him the gifts that Third Sister gave me to show my thanks. In addition to thank him, you don’t need to say anything else.”

Hearing the footsteps outside receding, Ning Xueyan leaned back and said, raising her eyebrows.

“Miss, you want Third Prince knows that Fourth Prince gave gifts to Third Young Lady? Should I tell Third Prince’s attendants that these gifts were from Fourth Prince?” Lanning had been brought to the imperial palace by Ning Xueyan a few days ago. Although she was not clear about what had happened between Ning Xueyan and Ao Chenyi, she was involved in the incident about the note. Therefore, she soon understood Ning Xueyan’s intention.

But there were some things she still could not figure out.

“Even if we didn’t tell him, Third Prince would know these gifts were from Fourth Prince,” Ning Xueyan said meaningfully. If Ao Mingyu was so ill-informed, he could not even beat Ao Mingwan, let alone Ao Chenyi. Obviously, in any respects, Third Prince was superior to Fourth Prince.

“Got it. Miss, I’m going right now!” Lanning was a smart girl, so after thinking for a short moment, she understood her young master’s plan. She then left with a nod.

It was getting dark outside, and lanterns were lit up everywhere in the Lord Protector’s Manor. Ning Xueyan touched the candle wick and shortened it with a pair of scissors. She had slept for a long time during the day, so she was not sleepy at the moment. She then took out the formula Aunt Xiang had given her and began to read. Aunt Xiang had asked someone to take the formula secretly out of the imperial palace and gave it to Ning Xueyan several days ago.

It was Qingyu’s turn to serve her tonight. Ning Xueyan had asked her to go to sleep in the outside room.

With the stirring of the scissors, the candle wick emanated bright light. Ning Xueyan was watching intently the candle wick while a figure suddenly appeared in front of her. With a cold light flashing, she immediately stabbed the scissors toward that figure.

Her wrist was grabbed forcibly and got a pinch. With a pain in her wrist, she loosed her hand and the scissors dropped. However, before they dropped onto the table, the scissors were caught by that person.

.....

Ning Xueyan raised her head and looked at Ao Chenyi in front of her, gritting her lip. He looked even taller, stronger and more aggressive than usual in the candlelight. He was filled with a ruthless air, and the smile on his lips was extremely cold and sinister.