561 - 570

“Sister Ning, let’s meet the prince first and plead with him. Who knows, he might spare you on the account that we never committed any major mistakes.” Commandery Princess Xianyun grabbed Ning Xueyan’s hand eagerly and attempted to pull her out.

Ning Xueyan pulled away from her grip with force and said with a terrified voice, “I… I’m not going. I’m… afraid of meeting the prince.”

There was nothing unexpected about her words. Never mind a woman like Ning Xueyan, few court officials could say that they weren’t afraid of Prince Yi. The Princess, an ambitious woman who believed that she would rule as an Empress in the future, was much braver but even she was cautious in front of him.

Ning Xueyan was born frail and it was obvious to everyone that she was just a weak, slender woman. Even if she was more courageous than most people, how much braver could she be? Besides, Ao Chenyi had stormed out of her room in anger last night. She probably didn’t have the guts to meet him now.

“Well… What should we do… Sister Ning, you really…” The Princess looked beside herself with worry. She spun around in place before suddenly stopping and gritting her teeth as if she was making the biggest compromise. “Let’s do this then, Sister Ning. I’ll visit the Fragrance Garden with you and ask that woman to spare you. I’m still the Princess of this manor. I’m willing to do anything it takes to protect you.”

She was right. Compared to the ruthless Ao Chenyi, dealing with his favored concubine seemed easier. If the Princess could promise her something, she might agree not to complain to the prince. Not only did she sound loyal and righteous, but reasonable as well.

As expected, the Princess had indeed steered the conversation in this direction. Ning Xueyan sneered on the inside. The Princess was truly doing her utmost just to trick her into going to the Fragrance Garden.

If that was the case, she would check out the garden herself.

“Then… I’ll have to trouble you, Princess.” Ning Xueyan nodded and stopped arguing. She looked listless as if she was prepared to rely on the Princess on the matter.

Thus, Ning Xueyan and Qingyu followed Commandery Princess Xianyun to the Fragrance Garden in a hurry. Their goal was, of course, to beg the “favored concubine” to “forgive” Ning Xueyan before she could complain to Ao Chenyi.

Naturally, now was the best time. It was said that the favored concubine was a mysterious person who rarely took the initiative to visit Ao Chenyi’s study or Moon-embracing Tower. Even if she wanted to complain, she would have to send someone to invite him over. It was still early, and he was usually away from the manor at this hour.

Thus, no matter how one looked at it, they could still make it if they went over now.

Ning Xueyan wanted Lanning to go with her, but the Princess thought it would better to take Qingyu as she was also present at the scene then. If necessary, Qingyu could prove that Ning Xueyan was unintentional at that time.

After hearing the Princess’ explanation, Ning Xueyan left the calm-headed Lanning behind in the yard and went with Qingyu.

The two guards who were guarding the gate of the Fragrance Garden were taken aback when they saw the Princess and Ning Xueyan. The two new mistresses of the manor had never visited them before. Still, they quickly bowed their heads and saluted them respectfully.

“Greetings, Your Highnesses.”

The Princess nudged Ning Xueyan, indicating for her to speak. This was a problem that she had caused, after all. It was only normal for her to step up and speak. Ning Xueyan looked at the closely-shut doors and said, “Open the door and let us in.”