261 - 270

Outside the Lord Protector’s Manor.

A ragged young man craned his neck and peered at the door around the corner countless times. Just when he felt impatient with all this waiting, he saw a woman coming out from the manor at a distance, and felt relieved. He came out, waved to her and then returned to the corner.

At this time, Chen Qing was a vagrant. He was penniless, so he had to return to the capital city.

“How dare you come back? If First Madam finds out that you are back, you’ll be killed!” Mother Chen frowned and whispered, as she went round the corner and saw Chen Qing.

“Aunt, it’s been so long. Is First Madam still looking for me?” Chen Qing had suffered a lot during this period. After being told, he turned pale with fear.

How was he to know that it was the Second Young Lady of the Lord Protector’s Manor? It happened so fast. He had asked the man to paint the Fifth Young Lady. Unexpectedly, the man painted Second Young Lady instead. When he heard the news, Chen Qing felt terrible at first. So, he immediately packed up and ran away.

“No matter how long it takes, Madam will never forget it. She will kill you the way she squishes a bug.” Seeing him obsessed with the wrong ideas, Mother Chen stomped and cursed in rage.

Madam Ling was a grudge holder and ruthless woman. If Madam Ling found out that Chen Qing, who had hurt Second Young Lady, was back to the capital city, he would be killed, and maybe she could not even save her own life by then. Therefore, as soon as she received the message from Chen Qing, she came to look for him, for fear that Madam Ling’s men would discover it.

“Let her get over it. I won’t die that easily. Aunt, she started a rumor that I had an affair with that Young Lady to destroy her reputation. At that time, I was the one who drew the picture, which was used as evidence of our affair. For fear that she would go back on her word, I kept the letter she sent. If she tries to frame me, I’ll use it as evidence…”

Chen Qing said this proudly, with malice and insidiousness in his eyes. He had suffered a lot after he ran away. He was not accomplished at either the pen or the sword. If the situation continued like this, he would be doomed to die. After figuring it out, Chen Qing returned to the capital city at once. Anyway, he had the proof in his hands. If Madam Ling wanted to kill him, it would not be easy.

Mother Chen covered his mouth, “Small ancestor, you… you dare to threaten the Madam. Are you courting death?”

Mother Chen trembled with fear and said this hurriedly. Back then, Chen Qing fooled her into thinking that he had burned the letter from Madam Ling. Unexpectedly, Chen Qing had kept the letter. She was frightened out of her wits. Madam Ling was a hard woman to deal with. Otherwise, she would not have been able to rise to the position of First Madam of the Lord Protector’s Manor, from that of a mistress.

“Aunt,” Chen Qing shook off her hands and said proudly, “Aunt, you know so many secrets about First Madam. Aren’t you afraid that she will kill you? She needs you right now, but soon, you’ll be useless. Then, you’ll be doomed to die because you know too much. I heard that an older female servant lost her life, after being abandoned by the madam.”

Hearing that, Mother Chen felt terrified.

.....

She was Madam Ling’s best assistant now, but who was it before? Madam Ling had always valued Mammy Yun most, but what had happened to her? Mother Chen did not know the actual facts, but heard that Mammy Yun had fled, when the manor was in chaos. Of course, Mother Chen did not believe that. No one believed that they could escape from the mansion. If so, Mammy Yun was exceptionally adept in trickery.