591 - 600

The palace had heard of the news by the time Prince Yi’s carriage arrived. Yun Luoluo was escorted out of Prince Yi’s Manor, but brought to the palace by the Empress’ servants on her way home.

Ning Xueyan and Ao Chenyi separated on their way to the palace, with the former heading to Chenyuan Palace and the latter to the Emperor’s study.

One of the Empress’ old eunuchs received Ning Xueyan at the door and led her in with a smiling face. Xinmei walked beside her.

The old eunuch appeared to be an easygoing one. While leading the way, he said, “Princess Yi, I heard Second Young Lady Yun got into trouble at your manor today. She’s just young and reckless. I once met her when she was still a child, when Empress Dowager was still around. She has a lot of growing up to do, it seems.”

A thought occurred to Ning Xueyan and she asked, “You’ve served the Empress Dowager in the past?”

“Yes. I served in the Empress Dowager in the past. After she passed away, the Empress asked for me and so I started serving her instead. In the past, the Empress Dowager was the most respected person in the palace. Even the Emperor listened to her. Now that she was gone, even her maternal family had withered.”

The eunuch sounded regretful like he felt sorry for Lord Peace’s Manor.

“Was the Empress chosen by the Empress Dowager?” Ning Xueyan asked curiously.

“This, I’m not too sure. The Empress is a filial person and had a good relationship with the Empress Dowager when she was still alive. She would help her manage the harem. Even the Emperor praises the Empress highly. Nowadays, there are only a handful of notable young ladies in the Empress Dowager’s family yet they caused such trouble. Sigh! The Empress feels terrible indeed!”

The eunuch sighed again.

Ning Xueyan’s eyes gleamed twice with a thoughtful expression. It seemed that the Empress was implying that she would be protecting Yun Luoluo. Ning Xueyan’s lips curved into a cold smile. She stopped going along with the eunuch’s words and walked quietly as if she didn’t notice his hints.

The eunuch tried speaking up for Yun Luoluo, Commandery Princess Xianyun, and Lord Peace’s Manor. He became upset when he saw Ning Xueyan walking calmly without going along with the conversation. What an insensible person! He had given Ning Xueyan several hints yet she refused to play along. She would definitely suffer when she met the Empress later.

Ning Xueyan’s tactlessness made the eunuch’s expression turn grim and he stopped speaking to her. He snorted in disdain and continued walking.

This was perfect for Ning Xueyan. She was tired of listening to his babbling.

Inside Chenyuan Palace, the Empress occupied the central seat on the platform. She looked quite upset. Sitting beneath her was a middle-aged woman who glared at Ning Xueyan the moment she came in. The woman’s eyes seemed to be burning with fire and her expression was indignant.

After Ning Xueyan curtsied, the Empress told her to sit down without any warmth in her voice.

“Princess Ning, Second Young Lady Yun entered Prince Yi’s Manor to care for her sickly sister. How could something like this happen in just a few days? Is this how you take care of guests at Prince Yi’s Manor? How can you let a young lady be so badly shamed? She’s still trying to commit suicide in my palace now.”

Once Ning Xueyan took her seat, the Empress immediately chided her with a cold expression.

She made it sound as if Yun Luoluo’s current state was Ning Xueyan’s fault. Even if she hadn’t harmed Yun Luoluo, it was her fault for failing to manage the situation and letting it worsen.