241 - 250

Maybe because Madam Dowager suddenly called her name, or maybe because Madam Dowager looked too serious with her darkened face, when Ning Xueyan raised her head and looked at Madam Dowager, her hands trembled and the sheet immediately slipped from them and happened to drop at Ming Feiyong’s feet.

Ming Feiyong was sitting on the left of Madam Dowager and Ning Xueyan was also standing beside Madam Dowager.

It had happened so suddenly. When Madam Dowager had called out the last word of Ning Xueyan’s name, the sheet had dropped to the floor. Ming Feiyong bent over and picked it up before Madam Dowager could say anything else.

Ming Feiyong flicked it after picking the paper up. After looking through it, he said with a sneer, “Madam Dowager, do you want me to show it to the court and ask the Ministry of Justice to identify if it is real?”

It was very easy to identify the authenticity of the dowry list, because the signatures of the two families on the sheet could not be forged. Both Madam Dowager and Ning Zu’an had signed on the list when the dowry was brought to the manor and at the bottom of the list were their signatures.

Ming Feiyong raised the paper high in front of them. He was happy at the sight of signatures of Madam Dowager and Ning Zu’an on it.

Normally, people would not deny the facts, but Madam Dowager was different from them. Ning Xueyan knew a person as selfish as Madam Dowager would not give back the shops and other items in the list easily. After all, these were worth a lot of money.

But whether she wanted it or not, she had to give them back!

As Ning Xueyan had expected, at the sight of the dowry list, Madam Dowager froze for a few seconds and then became a little panicked. However, soon, she recovered her composure. “Yan’er, you might have gotten the wrong one. Is this list really left by your mother?” she asked.

She narrowed her eyes and stared at Ning Xueyan when she spoke this. She paused for a short moment when spoke every word with coldness in her eyes. She was warning Ning Xueyan that if she dared to say ‘Yes’, she would definitely be seriously punished. Since Madam Dowager could do nothing to Ming Feiyong, she had to pressure Ning Xueyan.

She was quite sure that Ning Xueyan would not dare to contradict her. If Ning Xueyan said that list was not Madam Ming’s dowry list, Ming Feiyong could not argue with them anymore. After all, it was Ning Xueyan, not Ming Feiyong, who would heir to the property in the dowry list.

If she were the same Ning Xueyan, she would say as the Madam Dowager wished after being threatened. However, she was quite different from what she used to be now, because that timid girl, Ning Xueyan, had already died after Madam Ming.

As if being scared by Madam Dowager, Ning Xueyan turned her head and checked the list carefully. “Grandmother, you suspect this is not my mother’s dowry list? Impossible! It was found by Mother Han, and there are your and my father’s signatures on it. It should be true,” Ning Xueyan confirmed after several careful checks.

Seeing that Ning Xueyan did not figure out her hint, Madam Dowager grew angry. “Check it carefully! If you mistake it, you will be severely punished for your attempt to defraud the other’s property!” she said, gritting her teeth.

.....

“Defraud the other’s property? The dowry is Madam Ming’s. How can her daughter inherit her mother’s dowry as an attempt to swindle others out of their property? How shameless Madam Dowager is!” Ning Xueyan thought, a coldness flashing in her eyes. She had thought that Madam Dowager would threaten her after she showed the dowry list, so she had found the countermeasure in advance.