331 - 340

Seeing that a concubine even though herself high and said something so offensive, Ning Xueyan sneered. “Junior Concubine Xu, how do you know I was doomed to be incompatible with the imperial family? Do you mean all the Young Ladies who were eliminated in the contest were born at odds with the imperial family?” Although she said in a soft voice, she showed no mercy to fight back.

Junior Concubine Xu was so embarrassed that she could not even utter a word. All the Young Ladies who had been eliminated in the contest were from noble families, of course, she did not dare to offend so many of them. Even if she were Lord Protector’s wife, she would not dare to say yes, let alone she was only a concubine.

When she heard what Ning Xueyan said, Junior Concubine Xu’s face turned pale and all the words got stuck in her throat.

“Enough! Since you have offered your greetings, you can leave now. It’s unnecessary to have such trifles ruin our mood.” Madam Dowager waved her hand impatiently as if she really did not want to see Ning Xueyan. “She can’t wait to throw me out! I‘m Madam Dowager’s granddaughter, but she is even kicking me out in the presence of a concubine, so obviously, she thinks I’m useless,” Ning Xueyan thought.

Since Madam Dowager was driving her away, Ning Xueyan did not see the point to stay. She then bowed to Madam Dowager and walked out gracefully.

“Miss, they went too far!” When they stepped out of Auspicious Fortune Hall, Qingyu could not help but feel indignant for Ning Xueyan.

“So what? Is everybody in the manor spreading the rumors that I was doomed not to be related to the imperial members because of ill-matched horoscopes and that’s why I was eliminated in the contest and can’t enjoy the supreme splendor?” Ning Xueyan raised her watery eyes with an indifferent smile.

On the next day after she returned to the manor, she had heard the rumors. As the rumors spread, she was more certain that there must be someone behind this. Otherwise, no servants of the manor would have dared to gossip the Lord Protector’s daughter.

It seemed that someone wanted to take the opportunity to stir up trouble.

Xu Yulian was really not easy to deal with. Ning Xueyan had planned to user her against Madam Ling, but now she had become Madam Ling’s accomplice. With her help, Madam Ling could concentrate on plotting against Ning Xueyan behind her back. It seemed Junior Concubine Xu had already thought herself of the future hostess of the Lord Protector’s Manor.

As soon as Ning Xueyan returned to the manor, the rumors had spread wildly. It seemed that everything had been prepared in advance. Of course, Ning Xueyan did not think that the rumors would really do her any harm. At this moment, she suddenly remembered although Ning Yuling had not said much just now, there was a hint of triumph in her eyes apart from the coldness that appeared from time to time.

She looked both vicious and joyful.

Yes, vicious and… Ning Xueyan suddenly stopped with Ning Yuling’s expression flashing in her mind. Except for the coldness, there was indeed a trace of triumph in her eyes.

Of course, Ning Xueyan did not believe that Ning Yuling became triumphant just because of Junior Concubine Xu’s provocative words. In the past, Ning Yuling might do this, but now she was more composed than before and always looked gloomy which made people feel chill.

.....

It seemed that what had happened to her last time was really a heavy blow to her. Or maybe something else had happened to her after she was sent to that remote place which made her become extremer and grimmer even though her face had recovered. Ning Xueyan could even feel the great resentment from her from time to time.