631 - 640

It didn’t make much for a wise person to understand the Emperor’s feelings about Ao Chenyi. Ning Xueyan heard, way back when she was in the Lord Protector’s Manor, that the Emperor was in poor health, a stark contrast to Ao Chenyi’s youthful vigor. This was plenty of reason for him, especially when Ao Mingyu and Ao Mingwan weren’t worthy opponents for Ao Chenyi.

These factors made it very likely for the Emperor to use this opportunity to attack Ao Chenyi.

The rebellion of the Feudal Prince of Annan would soon plunge the nation into chaos, allowing him to take advantage of the crisis for personal gain. If an incident were to break out during this time, it would be easier for him to deal with Ao Chenyi than in peaceful times.

“It’s all right. He can’t do anything to me.” Ao Chenyi patted Ning Xueyan’s head. He could see the panic in her eyes. With a languid laugh, he added, “He still doesn’t know about Annan’s rebellion, but I already do. While he’s focused on the women’s quarters, I have already moved a few of my chess pieces.”

Women’s quarters? Ning Xueyan’s eyes brightened. Ignoring the hand that had been patting her hair, she raised her head. Her long lashes fluttered like the wings of a butterfly, and underneath them, her beautiful and limpid eyes seemed shrouded in mist. She looked so adorable and lovely, yet her words struck the crux of the problem.

“Honored Consort Xia?”

Staring at her sincere face, as harmless as a young creature, and the cunning mirth behind her limpid eyes, Ao Chenyi was taken aback. Soon, he couldn’t help laughing. He rubbed her hair with strength until it was a mess. His kitten was too cute for words. How could there be so many expressions on her face?

“You’re right. Honored Consort Xia, a woman who foolishly believes herself to be infallible.” His reply was direct, but his smile was meaningful. “You can also call her Hua Yueying.”

This answer didn’t surprise Ning Xueyan. She had been working up to this conclusion the past few days because any other explanation for Hua Qiuying’s palace entry didn’t make sense. The incidents at the palace and Honored Consort Xia’s mysterious background, too. It went without saying that the Emperor couldn’t afford to let people know that he, as a monarch, stole the wife of his subordinate and younger brother.

The scandal would ruin his reputation. That was the real reason why Honored Consort Xia had stayed so mysterious all these years!

“The Hua family has always been ambitious. They married their eldest daughter to a widowed influential officer of the previous dynasty, but unfortunately, their luck was poor. They hadn’t married for long before the previous dynasty fell. His husband abandoned her as they fled, leaving her to die in the chaos,” Ao Chenyi explained carelessly. He picked up a strand of stray hair falling over her face and twirled it around his slender finger, looking idle.

“Chief Hua’s second daughter entered the palace at twelve years old to serve the Empress. She was given the lowest rank among all consort candidates but before she could seduce the Emperor of the previous dynasty, the nation fell. Then, the Lord Peace’s Manor and Hua Manor cooked up a scheme. The Empress Dowager took the lead in convincing my father to arrange my marriage with Hua Yueying.”

Ning Xueyan was stunned. She rested her face on his hand and looked at him quietly. So, this was the truth behind the so-called engagement between Ao Chenyi and the imperial concubine of the previous dynasty. This incident was enough to show how capable Chief Hua was. He was able to live well in both dynasties and was even able to marry his daughter, who had already entered the palace, off to Ao Chenyi.

No wonder people say that the Hua ladies would never marry an ordinary person. There was also the saying that the Hua ladies were noble.

“My father doted and trusted me even more after he ascended the throne, which made Hua Manor all that more eager to fawn over me. Hua Yueying kept visiting my manor under a variety of excuses, even bringing her then-young sister Hua Qiuying. I didn’t like her, but because it was my father’s intention, I allowed them to visit.”