311 - 320

The most famous double-sided embroidery made by the imperial palace of the previous dynasty had become unique and rare, with the fall of the former dynasty. There were only a few pieces that remained in the world. She did not expect Ao Chenyi to have such an exquisite piece of embroidery in his possession. Moreover, it was embroidered on the dancing dress that she had hastily decided to wear.

“Young Lady, please try it on first. If there is any alteration to be made, I can do it immediately!” Lanning was not familiar with this kind of embroidery technique, but she could feel the texture of the material. The lotuses on the embroidery were all delicately done. She could not help, but want Ning Xueyan to try it on.

“No. Take it out. You should go to bed early. Maybe there could be some unexpected incidents tomorrow.” Ning Xueyan released the hem of her dress, and said softly.

Ao Chenyi had sent this to her, so there would not be any issues with the dress.

“Okay, I’ll take it out.” Lanning nodded and left.

The next morning, all the ladies got up early, because today was a significant day. No one wanted to be eliminated in the first round. In this way, not only would they lose face, but also the family they represented, would lose face. If the so-called noble ladies did not even have the basic skills, they must have had a poor upbringing.

Lanning combed Ning Xueyan’s long hair. Her hair was put up in a beautiful and stylish bun, to match the dress. A strand of black hair hung loosely on each side of her ears, which made Ning Xueyan appear more charming.

“Young Lady, won’t the Third Young Lady be afraid that you will make a fool of yourself and get her into trouble?” Lanning asked, while helping Ning Xueyan to get ready.

If the Young Ladies of the Lord Protector’s Manor had not been properly educated, wouldn’t Ning Qingshan lose face because of that?

“She’s not only wary of me, but also of all the Young Ladies of the Lord Protector’s Manor,” Ning Xueyan smiled casually. She took a white jade hairpin from her hand, and handed it to Lanning.

Ning Qingshan was smart. She knew clearly what Madam Ling and Madam Dowager were planning when Ning Yuling came to the capital. Ning Qingshan would take this opportunity to embarrass her in front of others, and spread the rumor that Young Lady of the Lord Protector’s Manor had been badly brought up. If Ning Yuling dared to covet the Third Prince, she stood no chance at all.

As for herself, on the one hand, her talent was well-known. On the other hand, she was self assured and bold. She knew that the Third Prince would not dislike her. As the Third Prince’s cousin and the Honored Consort Ya’s niece, she would marry into the Third Prince’s palace.

As for whether she would be the wife or not, Ning Xueyan did not want to guess. Ning Qingshan still thought that everything was going nicely according to her plan. However, some things had already deviated from her original plan. Otherwise, how could she have met with such misfortune at the Cold Mountain Temple?

The venue had been chosen a long time ago. It was in the Wanhe Hall. This time, maids were allowed to accompany their masters. The ladies and maids went to Wanhe Hall, and sat in rows on the right side.

.....

Ning Xueyan was in the second row from the back. Ning Qingshan was in front of her. When she saw Ning Xueyan coming over, her eyes were gentle and warm. Because the emperor and the imperial concubines were not there yet, they were not that restricted and whispered to each other.

“Fifth Sister, what are you going to perform today? If you need anything, tell me. I don’t want you to become a laughing stock and lose face.” Ning Qingshan came over and said this, with a worried look on her face. Her words were full of concern. Those who did not know the truth would think that she cared greatly about Ning Xueyan.