461 - 470

After walking for a while at the back of the mountain, Ning Xueyan returned to her courtyard with the excuse of feeling uncomfortable. When she just sat down and took a few sips of tea, Xinmei came back. She had instructed Xinmei to keep an eye on Ning Ziyan. Now that she had come back, Ning Ziyan must have gone back as well, so it was reasonable for Xinmei to come back at this time.

“Young Lady, I saw that the maid serving the Eldest Young Lady talked to the man for a while and then the man went round to your front. After waiting a while, I heard the man mention a portrait. It seems that a portrait of yours has fallen into the man’s hands.”

Portrait? Ning Xueyan’s face changed slightly. The so-called portrait reminded her of the several portraits with which she was set up in the last life. These portraits, which were similar to the portraits that disgraced Ning Yuling later, were the evidence of her affair. Madam Ling and Ning Ziyan killed her with these portraits.

Now how could she remain calm on hearing someone mention the portrait again?

“Young Lady, what does the Eldest Young Lady intend to do? Does she intend to accuse you of having an affair with this man with this portrait?” Lanning asked, and her face also changed dramatically. It was fatal to any unmarried Young Lady. Moreover, given that Ning Xueyan was going to marry into Prince Yi’s Manor as a co-consort soon, such a scandal could be a catastrophe for her.

What would Prince Yi think of it? What would the royal family think of it?

Ning Xueyan slightly frowned and her watery eyes became cold. It should not be the kind of indecent portrait like those portraits before. If it was, the man would definitely behave frivolously when he saw her. However, when Ning Ziyan came over, the man stepped back a little. He should know that Ning Xueyan was a Young Lady from a decent family, rather than a prostitute who had an indecent portrait.

Reasoning in this way, she thought that it should be an ordinary portrait. But even if it was an ordinary portrait, it was unlikely to be in possession of any other man.

As she expected, Ning Ziyan had set more than a trap for her. If her reputation was damaged, coupled with the fact that Prince Yi had treated her coldly before, no one would care about her life and death. If there came such a scandal at this time, both her reputation and her mother’s would be ruined.

As long as her mother’s reputation was ruined, Madam Ling’s reputation would naturally improve. In addition, if Ning Zu’an or Madam Dowager came out to speak for Madam Ling at this time, Madam Ling would become the Legal Wife of Lord Protector’s Manor again, and Ning Ziyan and her siblings would become the legal wife’s children again.

Considering the reputation of Lord Protector’s Manor, Ning Zu’an and Madam Dowager didn’t say anything about what had happened between Madam Ming and Madam Ling. People only knew that Madam Ling set up Madam Ming and managed to take the position of the legal wife from Madam Ming, but didn’t know other details. Meanwhile, the masters of Lord Protector’s Manor didn’t come forward to say anything about it. Except for rectifying Madam Ming’s reputation, everything else was settled in private.

If Ning Zu’an and Madam Dowager spoke for Madam Ling at this time, it would be completely credible.

That was to say, it was inevitable that they would reverse the verdict for Madam Ling.

“Lanning, bring me writing brushes, ink sticks, paper, and inkstones.” Ning Xueyan stood up and ordered.

Lanning answered and left. After a short while, she brought the stuff that Ning Xueyan asked for, and Xinmei spread the paper. Ning Xueyan took up the writing brush, dipped it in the ink that Lanning ground, and started painting after thinking for a while. In the last life, she had dabbled in lyre-playing, chess, calligraphy, and painting. Although she was not excellent in them, she had grasped basic skills.