411 - 420

“The Third Prince seemed strange today. He asked about Sister Ziying of the Cloud Reflection Courtyard and took out a picture scroll. He asked us if we had seen Sister Ziying before. Later, he went over there by himself and said that he was going to check something out. He also asked Lanning about it just now.”

Ning Xueyan smiled indifferently, but her beautiful eyes fell on Madam Ling’s face.

As expected, Madam Ling’s face paled. She clutched the quilt and then loosened her grip intermittently. “A picture scroll? What is it?”

“I’m not too sure either. My grandmother looked very surprised. She even said that it’s a ‘butterfly pattern.’ It was indeed a butterfly-shaped birthmark. I have never seen Sister Ziying before. Although Lanning used to be her maid, she was not her personal maid. She had never bathed her, so she said that she had never seen it before.”

Ning Xueyan replied. This matter could not be hidden from others. Although there were not many people in the room at that time, Ning Qingshan and Ning Lingyun were there, so what she said would inevitably be made known to the others. However, there was another reason why she said this. It meant that Lanning had never been close to Ning Ziying before. Moreover, the Third Prince had already asked about it. What should be said and what should not be said, had already been said. It was useless for Madam Ling to be cautious.

She did not need to focus on Lanning any more. According to her character, Madam Ling would likely create some problems in order to deal with Lanning. So, Ning Xueyan desisted Madam Ling’s thoughts.

“Has he asked about it?” Madam Ling’s hands trembled. She paid close attention to this matter. Ning Xueyan noticed that she did not pay much attention to the so-called “butterfly pattern”. Ning Xueyan thought that Madam Ling did not know anything about it. Thinking about it, Ning Xueyan had never heard of it herself. So, only a few knew about the birthmark.

At first, she wanted to ask Madam Ling about this matter. But now, it seemed that Madam Ling did not know anything about it. Otherwise, she would be shocked like Madam Dowager.

“Yes,” Ning Xueyan said with certainty.

“Has he asked about… your Eldest Sister and Eldest Brother-in-law?” Madam Ling’s voice trembled. She stared at Ning Xueyan and swallowed her saliva. Although she still had evidence of Ning Ziying’s losing her chastity, she did not want to bring it up until the end. It would only harm others without benefiting herself. Besides, it was not true. Even if she was stupid, she knew she could not do it.

Besides, no matter why Ning Ziying died, even if she lost her chastity, she could not let Ning Ziyan marry into the Xia Manor, on her behalf. And Xia Manor did not respond to it at all. Did this mean that there was something wrong? Madam Ling felt guilty and panicky, so she could not help asking Ning Xueyan.

There was a flash of gloomy regret in the First Madam’s eyes. If she had known that, she would not have cared about anything. She would have killed Lanning directly, so as not to create so much trouble. Except for Lanning, there was no one else in Lord Protector’s Manor who knew about the marriage between Ning Ziying and Xia Yuhang.

Madam Ling wanted to kill Lanning at that time. However, her plan was ruined by Ning Xueyan. Then, Lanning followed Ning Xueyan to the Cold Mountain Temple. When they came back, many things happened and Madam Ling did not have time to do any further plotting. Then, Madam Ling also went to the Buddha Hall. She had really been too busy to attend to anything else.

Then, Madam Ling gradually forgot about it. When the matter of the Cloud Reflection Courtyard was discovered, Madam Ling also wanted to deal with Lanning severely. But now, she was no longer the First Madam, who was able to rally multitudes at her call. She only had Mother Chen as her henchman. Even the people in the manor did not handle things for her, wholeheartedly.