131 - 140

“Where did you put Mother Wang?” Ning Xueyan asked Qingyu as soon as she returned to the Bright Frost Garden.

“I put her in the room next to Lanning’s. Lanning said it would be convenient for her to take care of Mother Wang,” Qingyu answered, pointing to a room on the right wing. “Miss, you’d better have a rest before visiting Mother Wang. Lanning is being with her now.”

“Okay. I’ll go and fresh myself up first.” Ning Xueyan nodded. “Although Mother Wang has come to the manor under the persuasion of Lanning, she won’t tell me any secrets because I’m Ning Xueyan, not Ning Ziying now. But I still have time. Since many outsiders have known that Mother Wang came to our manor after being knocked down, Madam Ling won’t dare to hurt her. Furthermore, Mother Wang is at my place, so her safety can be assured at least,” she thought.

She had a feeling that Mother Wang must have known some secrets about her past life.

However, she knew that even with Lanning’s explanation, Mother Wang wouldn’t completely trust her and tell her about the secrets.

After refreshing herself up, Ning Xueyan rested for a while before walking toward the right wing. She didn’t take Qingyu with her. It not because she didn’t trust Qingyu, but she was afraid that Mother Wang would be more suspicious.

Lanning opened the door when she heard someone knocking at it. When she found it was Ning Xueyan, she greeted her. “Miss.” She looked a little worried, so Ning Xueyan guessed that Lanning’s persuasion of Mother Wang didn’t work.

Ning Xueyan smiled, trying to comfort Lanning. Then she stepped into the room.

Mother Wang was sitting on the bed now. She looked at Ning Xueyan cautiously with surprise in her eyes.

Just like the true Ning Xueyan had never seen Mother Wang, Mother Wang had never seen Ning Xueyan before. The girl in front of her was calm and graceful, so Mother Wang had difficulty in associating her with the timid Fifth Young Lady from the Lord Protector’s Manor who had always hidden in her own room.

“Mother Wang.” Ning Xueyan stood still and sized her up for a while before calling her with a smile.

Mother Wang just recovered from her trance. She immediately sat straight and was about to get out of the bed. Ning Xueyan reached out and stopped her.

“Since you’re recuperating here, you don’t have to get up. Many people come in and out here every day. If they knew that your injuries are not that serious, we’ll get into trouble,” she said.

“Mammy, you’d better stay in bed. Young Lady won’t blame you for these manners,” Lanning said. Of course Mother Wang’s feet were not really broken. In order to take her into the Lord Protector’s Manor smoothly, Ning Xueyan had designed this.

.....

“Thank you, Fifth Young Lady,” Mother Wang said. She knew she should keep this secret, so she didn’t insist on getting out of the bed, but bowed slightly to Ning Xueyan in bed.

“You’re welcome, Mother Wang. Lanning has told you about Sister Ziying’s death. I know that she was murdered, and I would like to take revenge for her. If you know anything useful, just tell me. Maybe we can avenge her sooner.

She knew that Mother Wang was loyal to Ning Ziying. When she heard the news about Ning Ziying’s death, she could have chosen to leave, but she hadn’t. Instead, she insisted on staying in the city and collecting news about Ning Ziying. This time, she agreed to come into the Lord Protector’s Manor because she was told that Ning Xueyan would help her to find out the true cause of Ning Ziying’s death.