Fifth year

The dinner was about to begin when Dumbledore stood up to make an announcement.

"Well, now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I request a few minutes of your attention for the usual beginning-of-term notices," Dumbledore paused dramatically.
"The first-year students need to know that access to the forest on our grounds is forbidden to students... and by this point, some of our older students must have learned that as well."

Cassi hid her laughter behind a discreet cough.

"Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me, for the four hundred and sixty-second time, according to him, to remind everyone that practicing magic in the corridors during class breaks is not permitted, among many other things listed on the extensive notice posted on his office door."

"There have been two changes in our teaching staff this year. We are delighted to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will resume teaching Care of Magical Creatures; we are also pleased to introduce Professor Umbridge, our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."
There was a round of polite but not very enthusiastic applause.

"My mum hates that woman," Draco commented quietly to Cassi.

"My mum doesn't like her much either. I remember her stories very well," Cassi whispered back.

"The tryouts for the house Quidditch teams will be held..." He was interrupted by an inquisitive look from Professor Umbridge. As she was not much taller standing than sitting, for a moment no one understood why Dumbledore had stopped talking, but then the professor cleared her throat.

"Ahem, ahem." And it became clear that she had risen and intended to speak. Dumbledore seemed surprised only for a moment, then he sat down with elegance and looked attentively at Professor Umbridge as if listening to her were the thing he desired most in life.

The other members of the teaching staff were not as successful in hiding their surprise

The other members of the teaching staff were not as successful in hiding their surprise. Professor Sprout's eyebrows disappeared beneath her wild hair, and Cassi had never seen her godmother scowl so deeply. No new teacher had ever interrupted Dumbledore before.

"Thank you, Headmaster."

Her voice was high-pitched, breathy, and somewhat childlike. Cassi felt an instant dislike.

"Well, I must say it is a pleasure to be back at Hogwarts!" She smiled, revealing very pointed teeth. "And to see such happy faces turned toward me!"

No one was smiling.