chapter 12

👼 MY ANGEL 👼

👼 MY ANGEL 👼

I watched their backs as they walked away from me, my eyes covered in tears and my breathing uneven. I tried to register what they had said to me.

'Did they mean... Did they truly mean... My sister... My sister is gone? No, no... No, it can't be!'

I ran inside the operating theatre, shutting the door behind me and locking it. My chest was heavy, my entire body trembling, and my eyes closed as I turned around slowly to face what would be in front of me.

My eyes didn't want to look, I didn't want to see what would be there. I opened them slowly as tears rolled down my face.

Gwen was still on the operating table, just laying there. I walked towards her slowly, my eyes fixed on her. I felt my footsteps getting heavier and heavier as I approached her.

Finally, I reached the operating table. My eyes stared at my sister. Her face was very pale, her body very still. She was not moving. She was not breathing.

With trembling hands, I touched her neck, feeling for a pulse. Of course, there was no pulse. She didn't have a heartbeat.

Gwen was right in front of me, but it felt like we were separated by a never-ending stretch of mountains and seas.

She was gone! My sister was gone! But why did she look like she was just asleep? Why did it look like if I called her, she would open her eyes and wake up?

"Gwen...." I called out her name softly. My voice was trembling.

My stupid heart was holding on to the thought that this beautiful girl would open her eyes and wake up.

I remained quiet, holding on to my pendant in my chest, waiting for her to respond to me. But of course, she didn't.

And she never will. Not anymore. I let go of my pendant and then held her face with both hands, which were trembling hard.

I held her cheeks softly, but that didn't stop me from feeling how cold they were.

The coldness that travelled from my palms and into my heart.

I couldn't control myself, I couldn't anymore. I held her shoulder and pulled her up, placing her head on my chest.

I then squeezed her tightly while caressing her cheek. The first tear came after that and dropped on her face.

I rubbed her cheek gently for a little while before squeezing her again with both hands. And then, I sang to her our favorite song.

The lyrics to it were written on both our ribs

. "I just wanna live in this moment forever, 'cause I'm afraid that living couldn't get any better..."

"I started giving up on love forever, until you gave up heaven so we could be together..."

And when I sang this last part, my heart was filled with immense, inexpressible pain. Something I had never felt before in my life. "My angel, angel baby angel, you're my angel baby, baby you're an angel! Angel baby!"

By the time I finished the song, I had already burst into tears. Her face was soaked with each of them. I don't know why, but I was wishing that my tears or my voice would bring her back to life.

Back to me.

And the person in my arms was not a dead person. But as time passed by, it became crystal clear that she was.

And in that moment, I felt like something inside me was broken. And it could never be mended again.