chapter 89

👼 MY ANGEL 👼

👼 MY ANGEL 👼

Since she was looking down, she didn't see it coming and couldn't dodge it.

Elsa's face was stained with red wine, even getting on her dress. She wiped her eyelids before raising her eyes to look at Mrs. Callahan, who was laughing like a hyena at what she had done to Elsa's face. Elsa's eyes filled with tears.

"Why are you looking at me like that, Gwen? I told you your face makes me sick. See what happens when I look at you? Can you feel it all over your face? This is your fault for showing your face to me," Mrs. Callahan said, raising her voice to address everyone in the room.

"My distinguished guests! Meet Gwen Halverson!

"The shameless woman who used despicable means to get my son Jeremy to marry her! She and a prostitute have little to no difference! She has no morals, no class, no shame, and no principles!

"Victoria here was supposed to be the one to marry my son, but she climbed into his bed to get him to marry her! And why did she do that? Because of his money!

"She wanted his money and power! A woman like her is a disgrace to other women! She is a disgrace to the Callahan name, and I do not recognize her as my daughter-in-law!"

And that was exactly what Victoria wanted. She wanted Mrs. Callahan to speak about Elsa in that way and about her in a loving way.

That way, she could stay around Jeremy the entire party without restrictions.

And she got it. If Mrs. Callahan herself doesn't acknowledge her, then no one else would, and Jeremy doesn't have to ignore Victoria and pretend they aren't together.

At that very moment, Elsa felt looks of hatred, contempt, and disdain sent her way. Whispers all over the room were heard.

"What a whore!"

"I knew someone like Jeremy wouldn't willingly want someone like her!"

"Yes, a peasant like her. Why would Jeremy look her way?!"

"Imagine being so desperate you force a man to marry you?"

"Such a shameless woman."

"Woman? Is she even fit to be called a woman?"

"Whore is a better name!"

"Yes, she is a whore!"

"Whore!"

Elsa heard everyone in the room calling her that ugly word, and tears started rolling down her cheeks.

She looked down, afraid to face anyone. But just then, Mrs. Callahan grabbed her arm and pulled her towards her.

"Listen to me, we are all aware of your goals. We would have paid you to disappear, but you are not worth a cent," she said, pushing Elsa away roughly. "Now get out of my sight before you ruin my mood!"

Elsa stumbled back and fell to the ground in pain. And this was also what Victoria wanted, to bring Elsa humiliation without being the one who attacked her.

And boy, did it work well.

She had bad-mouthed her beforehand, knowing she would appear so that the moment Jeremy's mother saw her, she would charge at her.

Elsa slowly got up from the ground, her face filled with embarrassment. She hid her face with both hands as she started running away without looking back.

Tears rolled down her face uncontrollably. She bumped into some people along the way, but she neither apologized nor stopped running.

She needed to leave, to get out of that place. Those judging eyes and spiteful words kept ringing in her ears, unjustly accusing her.

She held onto her dress so she wouldn't trip on it as she kept running until she found a taxi. She got in and immediately went home.

***

Elsa locked herself in her home, crying the entire evening.

She just wanted to hide somewhere where she would never be found, not by anyone.

She hugged herself as she cried bitterly in her bed. The cruel humiliation inflicted by her mother-in-law hurt deeply.