chapter 45

👼 MY ANGEL 👼

👼 MY ANGEL 👼

Elsa trembled in her seat, her breathing shortened and tears covered her eyes.

Her heart beat so fast and hard that it threatened to break out of her ribcage.

She raised her teary eyes and looked at the man standing next to her, playing with her hair. His eyes looked dark and emitted a murderous aura.

Gathering all her courage, she said the words she hoped might save her, "I... I... I am not Gwen!" Her voice cracked and she choked on one of the words out of fear.

A tear fell down her cheek immediately after as she waited for his reaction and response.

However, what the man did and said was not what she expected. His facial features relaxed and he appeared to be deep in thought. Then, as if remembering something, he said, "Elsa?"

Elsa had never felt such relief upon hearing her name. It felt like she had just been saved. She felt that nothing bad was going to happen anymore. Well, she hoped.

She breathed out with relief before asking, "You know me?"

He let out a deep chuckle before answering, "I do."

Elsa's eyes lit up upon hearing those words.

His voice wasn't as cold as before. "Well, that day when Gwen stole my money and scammed me, when I went out with a gun and started shooting, both of you turned around at the same time and looked at me. You both looked so similar to each other. You looked like the same person. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. I thought maybe I had taken too many drugs that day. But just in case, I immediately did my research and found out that Gwen had a twin called Elsa.

"A twin she had never told anyone about. At all. Mm-hmm! I just never understood why she kept you away from people like us and never mentioned you or brought you to this side of the world. But now I see why."

He then let go of her hair and wiped the tear from her face. Elsa struggled not to flinch away from the stranger's touch. She looked at him and saw that his expression was becoming friendly. "Were you Gwen's friend?"

"There are no friends in this game, kiddo. But I can say Gwen and I knew each other very well."

Okay, so not friends. But still, if they knew each other, why try to kill her? "But why did you shoot at her if you guys knew each other very well?"

"I did shoot at her, and you. But if I wanted to kill both of you, or just her, I would have. Those bullets were meant to send a message rather than take a life. Something like, 'You better run before I catch you,' or 'Don't stop running because you won't want me catching you,' or even 'You can run but you can't hide!'"

Elsa looked at how casually he said that, as if it were no big deal to send several bullets in someone's direction.