31.

Pre-Birthday Blues

...Dom I think you might wanna see this." Niya spoke, holding up an envelope.

♥︎

I rubbed Dominique's back gently as she continued to throw up in the toilet.

"Do you want me to get you some water?" Niya questioned, sitting on the edge of the tub. Dominique nodded a little before throwing up some more. Niya quickly got up and made her way out of the bathroom.

Eventually Dominique lift her head up. I grabbed a paper towel and began wiping her mouth. I then kissed her cheek.

"You okay baby?" I softly asked. Dominique nodded a little, resting her head against my chest.

"You know you don't have to read anymore, right?" I assured her. "I know, but I want to." Dominique expressed. "Okay." I nodded, handing her the three page letter her father wrote her.

As Dominique started back reading the letter to herself, I read it to myself as well.

'...and I'm sorry I stopped writing you for a couple of years. Once you stopped responding, I just assumed that you no longer wanted anything to do with me. I felt that I let you down and maybe it'd be better for you to live your life that way. I want you to know that I never stopped checking on you though. My sister always informed me of your doings and your life.'

'...I knew when you graduated high school, first started college, and that you're D2?! I'm so proud of you babygirl. I remember when you were little and your nickname was butterfingers because you could barely hold a basketball for more than two seconds. You would always get upset when you would go to toss the ball because it always landed right in front of you. You would cry in my arms and tell me to hit the ball because it was being mean...'

Dominique chuckled a little to herself.

'I hear you've got a girlfriend now. I would love to meet her and see just who exactly is worthy of dating my babygirl. I hope she's treating you right because you deserve it. I'd love for you two to come visit me sometime. I've finally been granted visitation.'

'There's so much more I want to say but this letter is already long enough. I don't want to take up too much of your precious time. I know your birthday's in a few days and just wanted to wish my little girl a happy 22nd birthday. Child, you're making me feel old. Anyways, I love you so much Dominique.

Love dad,'

"...I love you too dad." Dominique mumbled, refolding the papers.

I rubbed her back a little.

"I honestly thought he forgot about me or was...dead." Dominique quietly expressed. "Don't you think I would've told you if he was dead?" Niya spoke, causing Dominique and I to jump a little.

"When the hell did you get back in here?" I questioned. Niya chuckled a little while handing Dominique a bottle of water.

"So, are you gonna write him back?" Niya asked Dominique. "I don't know...probably. Eventually." Dominique answered. "Take your time." I told Dominique.

"Aw, you guys are so cute." Niya quietly clapped. "Get out." both Dominique and I told her. "Okay." Niya playfully sighed while walking out.