Driving home

We agreed that I would take Sofia home. I'm glad to spend some more time with her. Pablo has to go to the other side of town, so he separated from us. We all said goodbye and went our separate ways.

"And how are you feeling?" I asked. "Better. Much better, thanks for asking." she replied.
"I'm glad to hear that." "Pedri..."
"Huh?" "I didn't have time to thank you. For what you did in the club. And for dragging me to the hospital. And for staying with me, even though I wasn't conscious. And now I thank you for everything."
"Hey, it's okay. You're a very important friend to me. I'd do it for you every time." I smiled and looked at her. 'Friend? Is she a friend? Idiot!!', I thought to myself. But now was really not the time to tell her everything. I just added her to the friend zone. What an idiot I am.

"And thanks for the tulips. They're my favorite flowers." she thanked.
"I know, that's why I bought them." I answered.
"Next time, don't spend money on me. Please." she laughed and took my hand. She put her hand on mine, which was on the gear shifter. She didn't squeeze it, she just rested her hand on mine. And she was looking at me. My heart wanted to jump out. I couldn't feel my leg anymore. I had at least ten thousand butterflies in my stomach.

"You are a really, really good friend of mine. And I really don't want to lose our friendship." out of nowhere she said. What? Did she just friend zone me? I mean, I put her in the friend zone first. But I didn't know what else to say, I had no choice. I didn't think so. But is she serious? Does our friendship mean that much to her? If yes, then how will we function without fear of losing that friendship.

"Our friendship means a lot to me too." I answered. Even though I just knew deep down that I wanted to end it. That I want something more.

I know I'm selfish. And that wanting more than friendship is selfish. But I can live with that. I can live with that as long as she's by my side. Not as a friend, but as a partner.

I left her in front of the apartment. I watched her enter that same apartment. And imagined how one day we would have a house together. And how we will enter that house together.

I could have gone home, but I didn't want to.

I drove to a cafe. And ordered tea. I think best with tea. There is no coffee that can replace tea.

Now I know what I want.

I never thought about my future, but now everything is different. Now I know what I want my future to look like.

I want to buy a big white house in Barcelona. With a lake behind the house. On two floors, with large windows through which light passes. With a terrace with a table and chairs. Which has a view of the lake. I want to have a big yard. In one part, a tulip garden was planted behind the house. I want big swings.

Of course I don't want to live there alone. I want to start a family. And I know who I want to start a family with. I would like to have two children. A girl and a boy. Maybe a dog. Then we would have to have a house for the dog. In the yard.

As for my career, I already know how I want it to go. I want to stay in Barcelona. Barcelona makes me happy and fulfilling. I want to win everything that can be won with Barcelona. And retire there. Barcelona is in my heart. And always will be. I would like to win the World Cup with Spain. I know where I want to be and that is Barcelona. It will always be Barcelona.

I want to wake up next to my wife in ten years and kiss her on the forehead and wish her good morning. And take the kids to school, after which I'll go to training. I want to see Sofia in the stands wearing my jersey and cheering. And next to her, our kids. I want to go home and have dinner with my family and hear how the kids did at training. Of course if they want to train. And then dedicate myself to my wonderful wife. Take her wherever she wants. Give her whatever she wants. Also for the children. I want to go for drinks with Pablo on Sundays. And stay in a great relationship with him. I want him to be my best man at my wedding. I want to have him by my side.

Tomorrow, tomorrow is that day. Tomorrow everything will be fine.
Tomorrow I will confess everything to Sofia. My whole future depends on tomorrow.

I can't blow it tomorrow. I must not be a coward tomorrow. Tomorrow is the day I will tell Sofia how I feel. How I feel about her. What I feel about her for the last ten years. From the fifth grade of elementary school.

I won't mention the past to her. She doesn't remember anyway. And she better not remember. Maybe I'll tell her one day. Maybe one day we'll laugh about it. When we are old. Maybe one day we'll tell our children about it. We have a great story of how fate brought us together.

I can't wait for tomorrow. I will buy flowers on the way to the field for the game. I will give it to her after I declare my love for her.

I won't sleep all night tonight. I'll only think about her and tomorrow.