Truth

Truth.

What is the truth? For me, the truth is the most important thing. The truth is a path that we can choose, but often we don't choose it. Telling the truth is a difficult decision. People often ignore it and put it aside. The truth is the only way, no matter what it is. When I was little, my dad kept telling me one sentence that I still remember. 'Lies have short legs.' This means that lies will not be able to walk for long.

Sometimes, however, telling the truth is very difficult. It is easier for us to be led into a lie or to hide the truth. But then we don't think about the consequences. And a lie always has a short duration and leaves big consequences.

Sometimes we don't have the words to express the truth.

And sometimes...we are just afraid of the truth.

I still haven't told him what happened at that airport or that night in front of the hotel. That happened a week ago. And I still haven't found the strength with which to tell him.

I avoid him. But I don't just avoid him. I also avoid Pedri. I can't face my mistakes. I think what I have with Pedri is definitely not a mistake. But not talking to Alejandro yet is a huge mistake.

I have to tell him today. If I don't tell him today... the best thing would be to pack my things and leave this place. Honestly, that would be the best thing to do. Why didn't I think of that before?

I called him.
I expected that he would answer, but I hoped that he would not.

"Hello?" I heard a voice from the other side. I didn't know what to say. The words couldn't come out of my mouth.
"Hey, Sofia, are you there?" he answered again. This time I had to answer.
"Hey, Alejandro. How are you? Am I bothering you?"
"Sofia. I'm fine. Is everything alright?"
"Of course...just a thought. Maybe we could meet... For coffee."
"Of course. I'm glad you asked. Meet me in twenty minutes at our place."
"That sounds wonderful. See you there."

It's over now. What's done is done. I quickly got ready and got off in front of the building. I called a taxi.

I thought about what I could say. How do I even start? What if he hates me? What if he says he never wants to see me again? No, I can't think about that. Only positive thoughts. Maybe he understands. I hope I won't hurt him. After all, he was my friend before my boyfriend. I want that friend back.

The ride went by quickly, too quickly.

I entered the cafe. I spotted him immediately. He was sitting at our table. Table number 3. I believed that the number three was my lucky number. I don't know why, but he always followed me. For example, I was born on March 3. Although now I think that number has changed.

"Nice to see you." I greeted him as I approached the table.
"You too. I'm so glad we met." he greeted me back.
"We need to talk about something." I opened the topic.
"Really? Is everything okay?"
"Yes, yes I just thought we needed to talk. You may have noticed some changes between our relationship."
"Well, nothing special."
"Alejandro, lately I've been a little distant from you."
"I noticed that. But I thought you needed some time to yourself. So I gave it to you."
"And I am grateful to you for that. You are so wonderful. And these two months spent with you were magical..."
"Wait..." he cut me off. "...I know where this conversation is going."
"Alejandro...I'm so sorry."
"Can you just tell me the truth? Why? Did I do something wrong? Did I pay you too little attention?"
"No, you're not the problem. I'm the problem. You were the best boyfriend I could have ever wanted."
"Then why?"
"Alejandro...I'm sorry...I didn't want it to happen. Not like this."
"I see...there's someone else. A third person."
"It's not what it looks like. It just happened."
"Just tell me who it is?"
"Alejandro, I can't. Not now. I don't want you to be angry with that person."
"So I know him." he spoke calmly. He was looking at the table. It seems he couldn't look at me at all. What kind of horrible person am I?
"I'm so sorry. You're such a wonderful person. I never wanted to offend you. He didn't either, but it was stronger than us."
"Is that Pedri?"
"How do you...?"
"I'm not stupid Sofia. The way he looks at you. He's been looking at you like that since he first saw you. His ears always turn red when he sees you. He always radiates positive energy when you're around him. He always wants to prove himself in front of you, and he gives 100% of himself. And when we got into a relationship, he couldn't look at me. He was mad at me. I thought I did something to him. But it seems the problem was that I was dating you. And in the last game ...I don't think that ball flew straight to Bellingham by accident."
"I...didn't understand most of it until now."
"Of course you didn't, I'm sorry I was in the way. I wish you the best of luck." He started to get up, but I stopped him.
"Wait...please. Don't say that. What we had. I will never forgetYou were my first boyfriend. Alejandro, thank you for everything."
"Thank you Sofia. For the opportunity you gave me. I'm glad I got the coward of a friend of my to tell you how he really feels."
"It seems that we were destined to meet, to be, but not to stay. Goodbye Alejandro."
"Thank you for your honesty. Goodbye Sofia?" I watched him walk towards the exit, leaving me behind. In a moment he stopped and turned around.
"Friends?" he asked. A heavy stone fell from my heart. That's the word I wanted to hear. The word I was hoping for.
"I thought you'd never ask. My friend." I answered.