Chapter 10

It was dark, like it always had been. It was cold. And it was scary.

Other than the trickling sound of water against the shaking window, it was quiet. Too quiet.

She didn't want to open the door, that wooden, creaky, closet door, because she knew exactly what was behind it. It haunted her, always did.

She couldn't stop her shaking hands from slowly opening that damn door. It was fully opened and there they were, piercing her flesh with their bloody-shot eyes...

Joanna jolt stright up from her pillow with a loud gasp. She felt suffocated.

That damn cell roof was still too close above her bed. She clinched the collar of her shirt in an attempt to calm her harsh breathing.

Her bed was soaking wet with her sweat. It was December, for God's sake! It was freezing, and yet, she was sweating. Heavily!

Unable to sit still in her bed, she jumped down slowly, not wanting to wake up Hank.

She took two quit steps and reached the sink and washed her face.

She glanced at the small disk on the left side of the sink and went there. She didn't have the chance to sit there yet.

Grabbing a book from her bed she returned to the disk. There was a low light opened all over the cells. She was thankful for that.

Narrow, quiet, and dark places were not her favorite things.

Opening the book, she squinted at the litters inside to read. Okay, so the light wasn't enough for reading!

She snapped the book shut and sighed as she ran out of ideas to pass time.

While sitting there, not feeling sleepy and not wanting to go back to her bed again, she started thinking of her situation.

She thought about sending a letter to Mark to tell him about her stay, but then she thought it wasn't that wise. What if the people who were after her kept a look out on Mark too? They’ll be easily found out.

Besides, Kevin must be telling him everything, with his not-so-much-approving perspectives. She sighed again and tipped her head back over the metal chairs back.

A soft, rattling sound startled her, and Joanna jolted up. What was that? It was coming form one of the cells close to them, and she wished it won't be that one.

"Having troubles sleeping?"

Of course her wish wouldn't come true, it never did.

Julian chuckled softly from his cell. His hands propping lazily over the bars of his cell in a way they were visible to her.

She stood still, silently.

"Don't worry, I won't bite!" he mused. "Actually, I would, but I can't from her." another low chuckle.

She swallowed hard and decided to 'man up' to her fears, and oddly enough, Julian was one of them.

She walked to the bars of her own cell and rested her arms on them, mimicking him. It was hard to see his face from here.

"What about you?" she asked in a low, calm voice, trying to roughen it up a bit even in that little tone.

"I don't sleep much." She heard him say and could feel his lazy devilish grin flashing all the way from his cell.