Chapter 20

The buzz of the morning rang loudly at Joanna's fragile head. All the pain pill she had made her sensitive somehow. She opened her eyes slowly and saw two legs dangling from the upper bed. Oh, right. Hank was sleeping in her bed now.

He jumped down with a thud and Joanna groaned at what it made her head feel. He was moving cheerily around the cell. Apparently he was in a good mood. He turned around and saw her eyes and his already wide grin widened even more. It was infectious, and Joanna couldn't help but smile back.

"Hey, how are you now?" Hank asked. Joanna propped herself from the bed slowly, wincing at the pain that was on almost every aspect of her tiny body.

"Better, I think." She said slowly.

"Good, because I don't think the guards will let you take another break day." Hank said as he pulled up his jumpsuit.

"Break? I was injured!" Joanna said angrily, rubbing her temple that was threatening to burst from all the throbbing.

"You'll have to clean the shower rooms today as well." Hank said in a sorry tone and Joanna left her head up toward him in surprise. “But it was suppose to be yesterday!" she exclaimed.

"Yeah, but if you can walk today, then it's good enough for them." he said sympathetically.

"Fuck." She only said, standing slowly as pain shot through her legs as well as her abdomen. She remembered the three fierce blows she received from Julian and shuddered at the memory.

"Here, let me help you." Hank said, jumping closer to her and began holding her arm before she shrugged away from him.

"Don't worry, man." She said. She was only wearing her white under shirt and a pair of male boxers. And even though her shirt was made especially for her to press against her tender parts, she couldn't risk anyone realizing what she really was.

She looked at Hank who was looking at her worriedly and felt bad at cringing away from him earlier. 

"Sorry, but I need to move by my own." She told him before she went to the sink and looked up at the small dirty mirror and widened her eyes in terror at her own face. Bruises streaked at the side of her jaw and under her eyes. Some coagulated blood was on the side of her mouth.  

She swirled the handle, her finger tingling with pain, and water started pouring down. The coldness of the water made her hand feel good at the touch. She splashed the cold water on her face and winced when in burned the side of her mouth, which had a small cut on it. She licked it with the tip of her tongue and tasted blood there.

The guard who called name came and called both their names before he moved to the next cell. She sat down on Hank's bed and lay down slowly so that the pain won't surge all at once.

"So, Aldo is your grandpa?" Hank said suddenly and Joanna shot her eyes open in surprise and groaned when she remembered that she confessed it to him last night.

"Yeah." She said slowly.

"That was a surprise. I wish you would've told me before!" he said sounding hurt and Joanna rolled her eyes.

"I didn't know then." She decided to say. If she'd already screw it up, she might as well finish the job.

"Really?" Hank said, genuinely surprised as he pushed himself against the desk that he was leaning on before.

"Yeah, I found out here." She said as she propped herself on her elbows.

"Wow." He only said and Joanna stopped herself from laughing at his expression.