Chapter 39

“Let me out! Let me out! Let me out PLEASE!!”

“Anna! ANNA!” Joanna woke up when Julian shouted her name again in her ear. “J.. Julian.” She gasped.

“Yes, baby, I'm here.” He said soothingly and pulled her closer to him. They were lying on the bed. When did Julian get into bed? Joanna thought. Another week passed by and she wasn’t seeing any of him. He was completely into finishing his project.

“Bad nightmare?” Julian’s voice cut through her thought and she nodded. She didn’t notice she was still shaking and sweating crazily. “I'm sorry. Did I wake you?” Joanna asked softly.

“No. I just got in.” Julian said to her neck.

“Oh.” Joanna breathed. “You need sleep, you know.”

Julian chuckled softly, tickling her sensitive neck skin and said, “Don’t worry about me, sweetheart.” He said and buried his face further. “Once all this madness is over, I’ll sleep all I want.” He said sleepily and before Joanna could say anything she heard his soft breathing as he fell into sleep.

She turned her head back slowly to look at the window and saw the soft light of dawn appearing in the horizon. Damn it, he really need sleep.

Joanna stayed still in his comforting hold for another half an hour, stroking his shaggy hair every now and then before she eased her self away from his loose grip and walked out of the room.

She couldn’t sleep. Not after that horrible nightmare. Plus, she was sleeping more than her fair share. She walked to the bathroom but before she got inside she decided against it. After what she saw in her sleep, she could not tolerate any narrow places at that moment. So she went to the kitchen instead.

She decided to make something to eat for Julian later. Apparently, it was the one thing she could do for him.

“Damn it.” Joanna cursed when she couldn’t find eggs and flour. She sat on the bar stool behind the breakfast bench and stared at the kitchen. She could go to the groceries store.

She extended her spine and peered at he bedroom door at the end of the small hall. Julian didn’t have to know. She would go and be back before he knew it. It was weird how much protective he was in the past two weeks they had been here. He never let her out while he always went out for groceries and stuff.

Joanna didn’t think there would be any harm in doing it. She just had to disguise her self real good.

With that plan in mind, Joanna started to get ready. After half an hour she was all set to go. She was wearing a blue shirt and deep blue jeans that had white flowers sketched all over it. She made sure the long brown wig she was wearing was in place and cautiously opened the apartment door. She slid out slowly and shut the door quietly behind her.

And she headed for the stairs.

Julian opened his eyes slowly when he couldn’t feel Joanna’s warmth close to him. So she woke up? He thought and closed his eyes again. He opened them again and straitened up.

It was too quiet.

“Anna?” Julian called and jumped out of the bed immediately when he heard no respond whatsoever.

“Anna?” He called again once he was out of the bedroom.

Silence again.

“Shit!” Julian snapped and ran to the apartment door. He opened it and ran down the stairs. “ANNA!” He yelled now.