Chapter 33

Julian was about to burst into laughter but held himself until the other policeman came by and checked the truck back quickly before he told Sara that she was good to go.

Once the car started moving again, Julian heard Joanna exhale in relative.

“Do you think he’ll be alright?” Joanna said in a worried tone and Julian smiled down at her. She was somehow coping with the situation now.

“I hope so. He is in his probation period, but he was a good lawyer, I’m sure he can get out of it.” Julian said. “He better get out of it.” He muttered mostly to himself.

“You kids are fine back there?” they both heard Sara call in the front.

“Not really!” Julian said loudly for her to hear. “Too narrow to make out.” He continued.

“It’s alright. When you grow out of your teenage period, your hormones will be able to take it.” She called mockingly from the front and Julian rolled his eyes.

Joanna laughed.

“Well, look at you.” Julian said amusingly at Joanna. “Your beautiful when you smile.” He said.

That’s soooo cheesy!” Sara called again and Julian hit the wall behind Joanna hoping Sara would shut up.

She only laughed.

Julian was going to say rude things but Joanna stopped him when she laid her head on his chest relaxingly.

“I’m hungry.” She muttered.

Before Julian could sooth her, came the nosy voice of Sara, “it’s alright, hon. we finished all the inspection points. We are in Cañon city.” She announced cheerfully.

“There’s this great place that sells the best burgers. I’ll pull out there in a sec. hang in there, sweets.” Julian almost dropped his jaw at the sweet way she talked to his Joanna, but he held his tongue at the mention of burgers.

God, he missed those.

It seemed like Joanna felt the same, because her stomach began producing noises. Julian bit the inside of his cheeks to stop from laughing and Joanna noticed.

“Shut up!” she said to his chest.

“I didn’t say anything!” Julian chuckled.

After a few more minutes, Sara pulled the truck back into a parking space and stepped out.

She reached the back of the truck and opened the door.

“I’m opening the door! You kids decent?” she called for them and heard Julian grunt before she slide open the hidden door.

Julian and Joanna closed their eyes at the blinding sunlight. Ignoring it, Joanna pushed Julian aside and walked out of the small space, breathing rapidly.

“Oh, honey, are you alright. You look pale.” Sara said but Joanna ignored her as well and jumped out of the back of the car and immediately bend down and threw up on the street.

“What…?” Sara said, looking back at Julian with accusing stare before she started walking out of the truck but Julian pulled her back.

“Let her.” he ordered softly but firmly and Sara looked at him with confused eyes.

“What’s wrong with her?” Sara whispered worriedly.

“I’d say a combination of severe dehydration and fear.” Julian said painfully looking at Joanna’s back as she continued throwing up.