Chapter 48

“Jo?” Mark said carefully when Joanna said nothing for the past hour as they drove away from where she was captive.

She didn’t look at him; she only kept staring at her feet, which were bare and bloody. Her stare wasn’t blank, it was calculative and after long excruciating moments on his part, she finally said, “I’m fine.”

“You are not fine!” Mark snapped, and Joanna looked up and tuned her face at him, shocking him even more with the calm look on her face.

“I mean…” he stuttered, “Well, look at you!”

Joanna kept looking at him with collective face before she looked down at her cloths, “Oh, yeah. We need to change this.” She said, almost humorously.

Mark shook his head in resignation before he sat back and rested his back on the seat. He rubbed on his shoulder a few more times; it was throbbing like a bitch.

The drive continued silently until they reached the meeting point with the others.

Once they were there, Joanna surprised Mark once again as she flung her door open with such enthusiasm that no one would no notice she was kidnapped an hour ago.

They were out of the city lines in the middle of nowhere. Fernando and Aldo were talking feverishly between the other cars that were parked randomly around. Kevin immediately stood up from the front seat he was sitting on in one of the cars once he saw them.

Mark quickly followed Joanna who was walking fast to where Aldo and Fernando were.

“There’s no delaying this no more. I’ll fuck those motherfuckers!” Aldo bellowed angrily.

“We need to regroup and plan this carefully boss.”

“Who the FUCK does he think he is? I’ll make him beg for me to kill him!” Aldo shouted again.

“You should!” someone said before Fernando could retort on Aldo’s statement and both men looked back at Joanna who was standing there, arms crossed in front of her chest.

“Joanna!” Aldo beamed suddenly and walked to her. it took an awkward moment for them to act once he was in front of her. finally Aldo raised both hands and cupped her face in them, his thumbs caressing her cheeks. “I’m so happy you’re alright, kid.” He told her as he examined her face thoroughly before he looked down at the rest of her to make sure everything was in place.

“I promise you I’ll make them pay ten times for what they dared to do.” He said in a low and dangerous tone moving one hand around to cup the back of her neck. “I promise.”

“Good. Because I’m coming with you.” Was Joanna’s retort.

“WHAT?” Aldo and Mark said in unison as Aldo released her, but she ignored them both and walked to Fernando who was looking proudly at her.

“You..” she smiled up at him. They didn’t have a chance to meet after she remembered whom he was and what part did he take in taking care of her when she was a child. Without further words, she threw herself in his arms, confusing everyone else including Fernando. He couldn’t ignore the swell of joy in his chest as he slowly hugged her back.

“You’re alright now, kid.” He told her before they pulled apart.

“Thank you.” She said warmly, and the word extended beyond him being a part of saving her only that day.