Chapter 54

She was there… or she wasn’t.. He really didn’t care because if all this were mere hallucination, it seemed so real.

Julian thought as he caressed the nap of Joanna a bit too roughly while he deepened the kiss more and more until it was impossible to go in further.

“Anna.” He kept saying every time they pulled away to take a sharp intake of breath.

He wasn’t sure if this was real or just a dream, but he could feel as his brain started to clear out from the haze.

A stirring noise outside made them stop and catch their breath.

“Miss?” Marshal’s head popped inside the doorframe, “Are you alright?”

“y.. yes.” Joanna said rather quickly, a light pink warming her cheeks. “did you get the guy?”

“‘Coarse I did!” Marshal beamed, showing her his missing tooth.

Julian was still starring at her as he adjusted to his realistic surrounding. Now that they weren’t kissing anymore, a crashing wave of emotions swapped by him. It wasn’t happiness, it wasn’t relief. It was… Anger.

It might have been the drug lingering effect, but Julian was still wounded at the way things ended up between them. and although it wasn’t the perfect time to conjure such emotion, he couldn’t help but feel sad and angry.

Was she still insecure about him? Did she really trust him? Did she still love him?

Of coarse she does, why else would she be here, risking her life for your sorry ass? A small rational voice pierced through his hazed thoughts, but he shoved it away.

“We need to leave.” Joanna turned from the large guy, Marshal, and faced him. Her face was all business like. He knew she acted like that because of the situation they were in, but what if she only felt cold towards him.

Nasty.. Nasty thoughts.

“You alright?” Joanna’s voice softened as she looked up his face. He must’ve looked like a mess. She was looking at him, green eyes wide with… what? Concern?

Julian cleared his throat and looked away. “Fine. Let’s go.” He said in his cracked voice.

Joanna frowned at his respond but didn’t argue. She turned to face Marshal again. “Let’s go back.”

“What are you saying?” Fernando shouted at his walky-talky that connected him with Mark who was watching the outside for them.

“I am telling you, there’s more of them coming to you. Many many more.” Came Mark’s hushed respond.

“Give me a number!” Fernando inquired, trying in his head to go over a different plan of retreatment. Marshal had already informed him that they had Drake.

“I don’t know.. About….ah… fifteen probably maybe more.”

Fernando growled at the unspecific answer. He always preferred for his plans to be accurate. This one was going crashing the more he thought about it.

“Alright, stay where you are. Boss and the others should be on their way out anyway. He should be able to stop them.” he said finally and finished the call. He turned at the men at his side and told them to retreat. He also called for a few others who were closer to where Joanna and Marshal went and told them to make sure she got out… with or without Drake.